Economic Integration Between China And ASEAN
AbstractWith the signing in November 2001 of a China-ASEAN free trade agreement due for completion in 2010, the question of the current degree of economic integration between China and ASEAN becomes important. This papers uses international parity conditions to investigate this issue. The results indicate that China is already highly integrated with ASEAN with respect to trade in goods and services. Financial integration however remains significantly incomplete. Given that external bodies such as the WTO will increasingly dictate the pace of China's future financial liberalization, the main implication of these findings is that complimentary reforms, such as the upgrading of prudential frameworks, need to be completed as a matter of urgency in both China and ASEAN.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series Discussion Papers Series with number 329.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elena Ianchovichina & Terrie Walmsley, 2005. "Impact of China's WTO Accession on East Asia," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(2), pages 261-277, 04.
- Azali, M. & Habibullah, M. S. & Baharumshah, A. Z., 2001. "Does PPP hold between Asian and Japanese economies? Evidence using panel unit root and panel cointegration," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 35-50, January.
- Warwick J McKibbin & K K Tang, 1998.
"The Global Economic Impacts of Trade and Financial Reform in China,"
Departmental Working Papers
1998-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics, revised Sep 1998.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & K. K. Tang, 2000. "Trade and Financial Reform in China: Impacts on the World Economy," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(8), pages 979-1003, 08.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Montanes, Antonio & Ponz, Monserrat, 2000. "Evidence of long-run purchasing power parity: analysis of real asian exchange rates in terms of the Japanese yen," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 351-361, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Imad Moosa & Razzaque Bhatti, 1997. "Are Asian Markets Integrated? Evidence for Six Countries Vis-A-Vis Japan," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 51-67.
- T. K. Jayaraman & Huay-Huay Lee & Hock-Ann Lee, 2006. "Regional Economic Integration in the Pacific: An Empirical Study," Global Economic Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 177-192.
- Ahmed, Saira & Ahmed, Vaqar & Sohail, Safdar, 2010. "Trade agreements between developing countries: a case study of Pakistan - Sri Lanka free trade agreement," MPRA Paper 29209, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tai-Hu Ling, & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Syed Azizi Wafa Syed Khalid Wafa, 2007.
"Real Interest Rates Equalization: The Case of Malaysia and Singapore,"
The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 24-37, August.
- Ling, Tai-Hu & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Syed Khalid Wafa, Syed Azizi Wafa, 2006. "Real interest rates equalization: The case of Malaysia and Singapore," MPRA Paper 515, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Ling, Tai-Hu, 2008. "Real interest rate parity: evidence from East Asian economies relative to China," MPRA Paper 7291, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chan, Tze-Haw & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi, 2012. "Financial Integration between China and Asia Pacific Trading Partners: Parities Evidence from the First- and Second-generation Panel Tests," MPRA Paper 37801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Chin, 2010. "Purchasing power parity and free trade area," MPRA Paper 40431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.