Some Non-Nested Hypothesis Tests and the Relations Among Them
AbstractThis paper discusses several statistical techniques which can be used to test the validity of a possibly nonlinear and multivariate regression model, using the information provided by estimating one or more alternative models on the same set of data. The techniques we propose can be regarded as alternative implementations of Cox's idea for non-nested hypothesis testing; under the null hypothesis, all of the test statistics are asymptotically the same random variable. For the univariate linear regression case, our test and Pesaran's has asymptotic relative efficiency of unity for local alternatives. Finally, we present sampling experiments for univariate linear models which show that the small-sample performance of our J test and Pesaran's test can be quite different.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen's University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 409.
Date of creation: 1980
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Review of Economic Studies, 49, 1982
Cox test; nonnested hypotheses; J test; specification test;
Other versions of this item:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1982. "Some Non-Nested Hypothesis Tests and the Relations among Them," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 551-65, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brunner, Eric J. & Ross, Stephen L., 2010. "Is the median voter decisive? Evidence from referenda voting patterns," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(11-12), pages 898-910, December.
- M.A.Hossain, 2001. "On Export-Led Growth: Is Manufacturing Exports a New Engine of Growth for Bangladesh?," Discussion Papers Series 297, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Magdalena Osińska & Aleksandra Matuszewska, 2006. "Detecting Some Dynamic Properties of the Euro/Dollar Exchange Rate," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 327-341, August.
- Ghali, Moheb, 2007. "Comparison of two empirical cost functions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 15-21, July.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2012. "Renewable and non-renewable energy consumption-growth nexus: Evidence from a panel error correction model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 733-738.
- Rao, Surekha & Ghali, Moheb & Krieg, John, 2008. "On the J-test for nonnested hypotheses and Bayesian extension," MPRA Paper 14637, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prof. Neil D. Karunaratne, 1999. "Rival Macroeconomic Models And Australian Stylised Facts," Discussion Papers Series 261, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2002.
"Bootstrap J tests of nonnested linear regression models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 167-193, July.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J. G., 1995. "Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a25, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1997. "Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models," ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica 170, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- Pons Novell, Jordi, 1997. "Selección de modelos no anidados. Un estudio de Monte Carlo," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 7, pages 131-139, Junio.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Thelen, Véronique, 2007.
"The Roles of Foreign Aid and Education in the War on Terror,"
IDEI Working Papers
449, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Paul Azam & Véronique Thelen, 2008. "The roles of foreign aid and education in the war on terror," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 375-397, June.
- Bernard FINGLETON & Silvia PALOMBI, 2013. "The Wage Curve Reconsidered: Is It Truly An 'Empirical Law Of Economics'?," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 38, pages 49-92.
- Peijie Wang, 2008.
"A Spectral Analysis of Business Cycle Patterns in UK Sectoral Output,"
2008-FIN-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Peijie Wang & Trefor Jones, 2010. "A Spectral Analysis of Business Cycle Patterns in UK Sectoral Output," Papers 1001.4762, arXiv.org.
- Han, Xiaoyi & Lee, Lung-fei, 2013. "Model selection using J-test for the spatial autoregressive model vs. the matrix exponential spatial model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 250-271.
- Viviana Fernandez, 2006. "Specification tests for a parsimonious random-effects model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(15), pages 1009-1012.
- Yanqin Fan & Qi Li, 1995. "Bootstrapping J-type tests for non-nested regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 107-112, May.
- Nicholas Apergis & John Sorros, 2010. "Disaggregated Earnings and Stock Prices: Evidence from International Listed Shipping Firms," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 269-281, August.
- Eric J. Brunner & Stephen L. Ross, 2009. "Is the Median Voter Decisive? Evidence of 'Ends Against the Middle' From Referenda Voting Patterns," Working papers 2009-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised May 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.