Diagnosis of Indirect Taxes and the Taxation of International Trade in the Dominican Republic
AbstractIn preparing this paper, the indirect tax systems in the Dominican Republic are examined both in terms of tax policy and also their revenue importance. These taxes include the taxation of import, value added (ITBIS), selected excise taxes, exit and entry taxes (tourism taxes), and the taxation of casinos and games of chance. The focus are both on the short-term revenue requirements of the government as well as on the tax reform measures that are needed in order to meet the longer term revenue requirements of the public sector. These reforms are taking place in an environment where tariff and institutional barriers to international trade are being reduced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by JDI Executive Programs in its series Development Discussion Papers with number 2007-01.
Length: 120 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
taxation; income tax; excise taxes; value added tax; taxation of international trade; trade liberalization; economic integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agha, Ali & Haughton, Jonathan, 1996. "Designing VAT Systems: Some Efficiency Considerations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 303-08, May.
- Glenn P. Jenkins & Chun-Yan Kuo & Keh-Nan Sun, 2003. "Taxation and Economic Development in Taiwan," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 734-735, October.
- Oscar E. Melhado, 2003. "Fiscal Sustainability and Resource Mobilization in the Dominican Republic," IMF Working Papers 03/19, International Monetary Fund.
- Sijbren Cnossen, 2007. "Alcohol taxation and regulation in the European Union," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 699-732, December.
- Ziga Vodusek & Jaime Granados & Fabrizio Opertti & Pablo A. Illarieti C. & Mario Gutiérrez Rocha, 2009. "República Dominicana: Desafíos de la Inserción en la Economía Global," IDB Publications 8334, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafik Majidov).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.