Evaluating retail banking quality service and convenience with MCDA techniques: a case study at the bank branch level
AbstractThe intangibility of banking services makes the evaluation of service quality and customer convenience difficult to measure. Bankers obviously recognize the importance of intangible factors, but because of pressures placed on operating margins caused by the current economic climate and chronically low margins, the evaluation of factors related to quality service becomes paramount for bank managers. Bankers, by necessity, seek to promote improvement initiatives, which will assist banks in improving their perceived costumer portfolio quality. This paper aims to construct an integrated evaluation system for retail banking service quality and convenience at the bank branch level. By combining cognitive mapping with measuring attractiveness by a categorical based evaluation technique, we strive to introduce transparency in the decision making process and add to the performance literature in retail banking. Strengths, weaknesses and practical applications of our multiple criteria evaluation system are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w201131.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suwignjo, P. & Bititci, U. S & Carrie, A. S, 2000. "Quantitative models for performance measurement system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 231-241, March.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Sérgio P. Santos & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2009. "Adding Value to Bank Branch Performance Evaluation Using Cognitive Maps and MCDA: A Case Study," Working Papers w200923, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Schaffnit, Claire, 2004. "Commercial branch performance evaluation and results communication in a Canadian bank--a DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 719-735, August.
- Knox Lovell, C. A. & Pastor, Jesus T., 1997. "Target setting: An application to a bank branch network," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 290-299, April.
- Lee, Peter K.C. & Cheng, T.C. Edwin & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An empirical study of transformational leadership, team performance and service quality in retail banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 690-701, December.
- Oliveira, Pedro & von Hippel, Eric, 2011. "Users as service innovators: The case of banking services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 806-818, July.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 1997. "Service quality and operating efficiency synergies for management control in the provision of financial services: Evidence from Greek bank branches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 300-313, April.
- Eden, Colin, 2004. "Analyzing cognitive maps to help structure issues or problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(3), pages 673-686, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Portela, Maria Conceicao A. Silva & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2007. "Comparative efficiency analysis of Portuguese bank branches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 1275-1288, March.
- Bana e Costa, Carlos A. & Ensslin, Leonardo & Correa, Emerson C. & Vansnick, Jean-Claude, 1999. "Decision Support Systems in action: Integrated application in a multicriteria decision aid process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 315-335, March.
- Dekker, David & Post, Thierry, 2001. "A quasi-concave DEA model with an application for bank branch performance evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 296-311, July.
- Mihelis, G. & Grigoroudis, E. & Siskos, Y. & Politis, Y. & Malandrakis, Y., 2001. "Customer satisfaction measurement in the private bank sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 347-360, April.
- Jackson, William III & Nandakumar, Purushottaman & Roth, Aleda V., 2003. "Market structure, consumer banking, and optimal level of service quality," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 49-63.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & Sérgio P. Santos & Ronald W. Spahr, 2012. "How to create indices for bank branch financial performance measurement using MCDA techniques: an illustrative example," Working Papers w201213, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.