Identifying asset price booms and busts with quantile regressions
AbstractThis paper presents a methodology for detecting asset price booms and busts using non-parametric quantile regressions. The method consists in estimating the distribution of real stock prices as a function of fundamental determinants of stock returns, namely real economic activity and real interest rates. It is shown that changes in fundamentals affect not only the location but also the shape of the conditional distribution of stock prices. Asset price booms and busts are identified as realizations on the tails of that distribution. Then we use several indicators to analyse the behaviour of money and credit around the boom and bust episodes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w200608.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Timmermann, Allan, 2001.
"Business cycle asymmetries in stock returns: Evidence from higher order moments and conditional densities,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 259-306, July.
- Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Timmermann, Allan, 2001. "Business cycle asymmetries in stock returns: evidence from higher order moments and conditional densities," Working Paper Series 0058, European Central Bank.
- Allan Timmermann & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2000. "Business Cycle Asymmetries in Stock Returns: Evidence from Higher Order Moments and Conditional Densities," FMG Discussion Papers dp360, Financial Markets Group.
- Perez-Quiros, G. & Timmermann, A., 2001. "Business Cycle Asymmetries in Stock Returns: Evidence from Higher Order Moments and Conditional Densities," Papers 58, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- James Hansen, 2011. "Does Equity Mispricing Influence Household and Firm Decisions?," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2011-06, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Gerdesmeier, Dieter & Roffia, Barbara & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2009.
"Asset price misalignments and the role of money and credit,"
Working Paper Series
1068, European Central Bank.
- Dieter Gerdesmeier & Hans‐Eggert Reimers & Barbara Roffia, 2010. "Asset Price Misalignments and the Role of Money and Credit," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 377-407, Winter.
- Gerdesmeier, Dieter & Lenarčič, Andreja & Roffia, Barbara, 2012. "An alternative method for identifying booms and busts in the euro area housing market," Working Paper Series 1493, European Central Bank.
- Saumitra, Bhaduri & Raja, Sethudurai, 2012.
"A note on excess money growth and inflation dynamics: evidence from threshold regression,"
38036, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saumitra N Bhaduri & S. Raja Sethu Durai, 2013. "A Note on Excess Money Growth and Inflation Dynamics: Evidence from Threshold Regression," Working Papers 2013-078, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Adalid, Ramón & Detken, Carsten, 2007. "Liquidity shocks and asset price boom/bust cycles," Working Paper Series 0732, European Central Bank.
- de Bondt, Gabe & Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Santabárbara, Daniel, 2010.
"Booms and busts in China's stock market: Estimates based on fundamentals,"
Working Paper Series
1190, European Central Bank.
- Gabe de Bondt & Tuomas Peltonen & Daniel Santabarbara, 2011. "Booms and busts in China's stock market: estimates based on fundamentals," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(5), pages 287-300.
- Gabe J. de Bondt & Tuomas A. Peltonen & Daniel Santabárbara, 2010. "Booms and busts in China's stock market: Estimates based on fundamentals," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1032, Banco de Espa�a.
- Helmut Herwartz & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2011.
"In-Sample and Out-of-Sample Prediction of Stock Market Bubbles: Cross-Sectional Evidence,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1173, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Helmut Herwartz & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2014. "In‐Sample and Out‐of‐Sample Prediction of stock Market Bubbles: Cross‐Sectional Evidence," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(1), pages 15-31, 01.
- Dieter Gerdesmeier & Hans-Eggert Reimers & Barbara Roffia, 2011. "Early Warning Indicators for Asset Price Booms," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 1-19, June.
- Nuno Alves & Carlos Robalo Marques & João Sousa, 2007. "Is the euro area M3 abandoning us?," Working Papers w200720, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.