Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms
AbstractThis study compares the patters of entry, survival and growth of domestic and foreign owned firms. We show that the post-entry behavior of foreign owned firms is quite different from that of their domestic counterparts. Among foreign entrants, we were able to distinguish between those which proceed by creating a new firm and those that acquire an already existing business. Our evidence reveals that the choice of the mode of entry in foreign markets exerts an impact upon the performance of firms that persist long after the moment of entry. As a consequence, our work clearly indicates that there is much to be gained in the understanding of the process of entry in foreign markets by studying the behavior of entrants over their first years in these markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w200204.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- JosÈ Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2004. "Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 283-298, 04.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Almeida, Rita K., 2003. "The Effects of Foreign Owned Firms on the Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 785, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Silviano Pérez & Amparo Llopis & Juan Llopis, 2004. "The Determinants of Survival of Spanish Manufacturing Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 251-273, 08.
- Bastié Françoise & Cieply Sylvie & Cussy Pascal, 2011. "The Survival of New Firms: Do Bank Loans at Birth Matter?," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201110, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Christian Bellak, 2004.
"How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does It Matter?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp087, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bellak, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does it Matter?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 483-514, 09.
- Deschryvere, Matthias, 2008. "High Growth Firms and Job Creation in Finland," Discussion Papers 1144, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Koen de Backer, 2002. "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?," Economics Working Papers 618, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Mamede, Ricardo, 2005. "Brand effects, mobility costs and industry evolution," MPRA Paper 3998, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2003.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd Out Domestic Entrepreneurship?,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2002. "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2002-14, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Bonfim, Diana & Dias, Daniel A. & Richmond, Christine, 2012. "What happens after corporate default? Stylized facts on access to credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2007-2025.
- Ergun Dogan & Koi Nyen Wong & Michael Meow-Chung Yap, 2010. "Turnover, Ownership and Productivity in Malaysian Manufacturing," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series 13-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- José García-Quevedo & Francisco Mas-Verdú & Daniel Montolio, 2011.
"What type of innovative firms acquire knowledge intensive services and from which suppliers?,"
2011/22, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- García-Quevedo, José & Mas-Verdú, Francisco & Montolio, Daniel, 2011. "What type of innovative firms acquire knowledge intensive services and from which suppliers?," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201108, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV).
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Amparo Sanchis-Llopis & Juan Sanchis-Llopis, 2010. "A competing risks analysis of firms’ exit," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 281-304, April.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Rosina Moreno, 2005.
"Firm Competitive Strategies And The Likelihood Of Survival - The Spanish Case,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p347, European Regional Science Association.
- Raquel Ortega-ArgilÃ©s & Rosina Moreno, 2007. "Firm Competitive Strategies and the Likelihood of Survival. The Spanish Case," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Christian Bellak, 2001. "Multinational Enterprises and Their Domestic Counterparts: Past Research, Current Issues and Future Directions," Working Papers geewp18, Vienna University of Economics Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Rita Almeida, 2004.
"The labor market effects of foreign-owned firms,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3300, The World Bank.
- Norback, Pehr-Johan & Tekin-Koru, Ayca & Waldkirch, Andreas, 2013. "Multinational Firms and Plant Divestiture," MPRA Paper 45957, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas & Ricardo Paes Mamede, 2008. "Structural Transformation and the role of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal: a descriptive analysis for the period 1990-2005," GEE Papers 0009, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Dec 2008.
- Richard I.D. Harris & Qian Cher Li, .
"Export-market dynamics and the probability of firm closure: Evidence for the UK,"
2008_17, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Harris, Richard I.D. & Li, Qian Cher, 2008. "Export-market dynamics and the probability of firm closure: Evidence for the UK," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-28, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.