Price Stability and Intermediate Targets for Monetary Policy
AbstractMonetary policy strategy in Portugal has been presented in recent years as pursuing the final goal of price stability through an exchange rate stability target. This paper argues that a central bank committed to the goal of price stability - meaning low inflation in the medium/long run - can successfully control average inflation in the economy drawing up a strategy that involves an intermediate monetary target (exchange rate or money). Arguments in favour of the use of an intermediate monetary target in terms of communication strategy are briefly discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w199901.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pedro Bação & António Portugal Duarte, 2011.
"Accession to the European Union, Interest Rates and Indebtedness: Greece and Portugal,"
Institute of Economic Sciences.
- Pedro Bação & António Portugal Duarte, 2010. "Accession to the European Union, Interest Rates and Indebtedness: Greece and Portugal," GEMF Working Papers 2011-04, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- António Portugal Duarte, 2005.
"The Portuguese Disinflation Process: Analysis of Some Costs and Benefits,"
- António Duarte, 2009. "The Portuguese Disinflation Process: Analysis of Some Costs and Benefits," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 157-173, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.