Rural Nonfarm Employment Under Trade Reform Evidence From Vietnam, 1993-2002
AbstractVietnam?s rural economy has substantially diversified over the past two decades. The rural nonfarm sector has grown rapidly and became an important source of employment and income for rural households. This growing nonfarm employment was associated with radical changes in the trade policy reform that has put the country to the top two or three performers in the developing world. This paper examines the potential effect of the trade policy reform on nonfarm employment in rural Vietnam during the period 1993-2002. It proposes two trade openness indices that allow changes in the trade policy at the macro level to be transmitted to rural households. The results reveal that the trade policy reform does have a material impact on rural nonfarm employment. While a more liberalized agricultural sector encourages nonfarm diversification, a lower protection level in the nonfarm sector discourages individual participation in nonfarm income-generating activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex in its series PRUS Working Papers with number 35.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Social Sciences and Cultural Studies, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9SN
Phone: (01273) 678739
Web page: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/PRU/
More information through EDIRC
Trade liberalization; trade policy reform; rural nonfarm employment; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-05-26 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-05-26 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2007-05-26 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2007-05-26 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Atamanov, Aziz & Van den Berg, Marrit, 2011. "Microeconomic analysis of rural nonfarm activities in the Kyrgyz Republic: What determines participation and returns?," MERIT Working Papers 011, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alvaro Herrera) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Alvaro Herrera to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.