Poverty Dynamics in Rural Vietnam: Winners and Losers During Reform
AbstractThis paper analyses poverty dynamics in Vietnam during the ‘Doi Moi’ renovation period and tries to identify the winners and losers from the economic and trade reform process implemented in Vietnam in the late 1980s. Our results are based on data available for a panel of 3494 rural households interviewed in 1992-93 and 1997-98. We find that movements in and out of poverty between the two periods vary substantially across population subgroups, suggesting that not everyone benefited equally from the process of reform. We model poverty dynamics using a multinomial logit model that explains movements in and out of poverty between the two periods of time in terms of household characteristics, characteristics directly related to the economic reforms and changes in the returns to those characteristics. The results suggest that changes in household poverty status in Vietnam are correlated with geographic location, access to key institutions and infrastructure, the education level of the head and spouse, as well as changes induced by the economic reform. These results are robust to shifts in the poverty line and changes in model specification. The paper forms part of a wider study funded by the UK Department for International Development that examines the impact of trade reform and trade shocks on household poverty dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex in its series PRUS Working Papers with number 10.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Social Sciences and Cultural Studies, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9SN
Phone: (01273) 678739
Web page: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/PRU/
More information through EDIRC
Poverty dynamics; trade liberalisation; economic reform; panel data; Vietnam.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Edmonds & Nina Pavcnik, 2002. "Does Globalization Increase Child Labor? Evidence from Vietnam," NBER Working Papers 8760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burgess, Simon & Gardiner, Karin & Jenkins, Stephen P & Propper, Carol, 2000.
"Measuring Income Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2512, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P. Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring Income Risk," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 213, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P. Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring income risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6450, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring Income Risk," CASE Papers case40, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring income risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51327, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Yoko Niimi & Puja Vasudeva Dutta & Alan Winters, 2003. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam," PRUS Working Papers 17, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Dwayne Benjamin & Loren Brandt, 2002.
"Agriculture and Income Distribution in Rural Vietnam under Economic Reforms: A Tale of Two Regions,"
benjamin-02-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Loren Brandt & Dwayne Benjamin, 2002. "Agriculture and Income Distribution in Rural Vietnam under Economic Reforms: A Tale of Two Regions," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 519, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Dollar, David, 2002. "Reform, growth, and poverty in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2837, The World Bank.
- van de Walle, Dominique & Gunewardena, Dileni, 2001.
"Sources of ethnic inequality in Viet Nam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 177-207, June.
- repec:ese:iserwp:99-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baulch, Bob & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Haughton, Dominique & Haughton, Jonathan, 2002. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam : a socioeconomic perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2836, The World Bank.
- Minot, Nicholas & Goletti, Francesco, 2000. "Rice market liberalization and poverty in Viet Nam:," Research reports 114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stephen P. Jenkins, 2000.
"Modelling household income dynamics,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 529-567.
- Glewwe, Paul & Hall, Gillette, 1998. "Are some groups more vulnerable to macroeconomic shocks than others? Hypothesis tests based on panel data from Peru," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 181-206, June.
- L. Alan Winters, 2000. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty," PRUS Working Papers 07, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- David O’Connor, 1996. "Labour Market Aspects of State Enterprise Reform in Viet Nam," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 117, OECD Publishing.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi S. Imai, 2012. "Measuring Households' Vulnerability to Idiosyncratic and Covariate Shocks – the case of Bangladesh," Discussion Paper Series DP2012-02, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Pham, Hung T, 2006. "Rural Nonfarm Employment Under Trade Reform Evidence From Vietnam, 1993-2002," MPRA Paper 6476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Patricia Justino, 2004.
"Redistribution, Inequality And Political Conflict,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
143, Royal Economic Society.
- Ingrid Woolard & Stephan Klasen, 2005.
"Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 865-897.
- Woolard, Ingrid & Klasen, Stephan, 2004. "Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 1030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2012. "Poverty Dynamics: The Structurally and Stochastically Poor in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 45738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jones, Nicola & Nguyen, Ngoc Anh & Nguyen, Thu Hang, 2007. "Trade liberalisation and intra-household poverty in Vietnam: a q2 social impact analysis," MPRA Paper 4206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Montalbano, Pierluigi, 2011. "Trade Openness and Developing Countries' Vulnerability: Concepts, Misconceptions, and Directions for Research," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1489-1502, September.
- Emiliano Magrini & Pierluigi Montalbano, 2012. "Trade openness and vulnerability to poverty: Vietnam in the long-run (1992-2008)," Working Paper Series 3512, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Patricia Justino & Philip Verwimp, 2006.
"Poverty Dynamics, Violent Conflict and Convergence in Rwanda,"
HiCN Working Papers
16, Households in Conflict Network.
- Patricia Justino & Philip Verwimp, 2008. "Poverty Dynamics, Violent Conflict and Convergence in Rwanda," Research Working Papers 4, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Nguyen, Anh & Jones, Nicola, 2006. "Vietnam’s Trade Liberalisation: Potential Impacts on Child Well-being," MPRA Paper 1385, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herrera, Javier & Roubaud, François, 2005. "Urban Poverty Dynamics in Peru and Madagascar, 1997-99: A Panel Data Analysis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4977, Paris Dauphine University.
- Seshan, Ganesh, 2005. "The impact of trade liberalization on household welfare in vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3541, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alvaro Herrera) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Alvaro Herrera to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.