The Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on Sub-National Government – Lessons from the Free State Province in South Africa
AbstractA provincial computable general equilibrium model for the Free State province in South Africa is used to quantify the channels by which the recent global economic crisis affects the province. The analysis allows focus on three levels through which provincial economies and their people are impacted by a global economic crisis, namely the macro-economic level, the meso-economic level and the micro-economic/household level. The novel features of the paper are mainly applying this methodology at sub national government level. The decrease in world prices combined with the drop in world demand lead to a fall in production for most sectors in the province. There is a negative impact on institutions, and households see their incomes drop. Though the crisis seems to be petering out now, there are lessons for intergovernmental financial relations that this paper has highlighted and long run effects of the crisis that the province needs to confront.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pretoria, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 201012.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Global crisis; Computable General Equilibrium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2010-06-18 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2010-06-18 (Computational Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bahta, Yonas Tesfamariam, 1. "The Impact Of International Oil Price Increase On The Economy Of Free Stateprovince Of South Africa," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.