Bayesian Methods of Forecasting Inventory Investment in South Africa
AbstractThis paper develops a Bayesian Vector Error Correction Model (BVECM) for forecasting inventory investment in South Africa. The model is estimated using quarterly data on actual sales, production, unfilled orders, price levels and interest rates, for the period of 1978 to 2000. The out-of-sample-forecast accuracy obtained from the BVECM, over the forecasting horizon of 2001:1 to 2003:4, is compared with those generated from the Classical variant of the VAR and the VECM, the Bayesian VAR, and the ECM of inventory investment developed by Smith et al. (2006) for the South African economy. The BVECM with the most tight prior outperforms all the other models, except for a relatively tight BVAR. This BVAR model also correctly predicts the direction of change of inventory investment over the period of 2004:1 to 2006:3.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pretoria, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200704.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
VECM and BVECM; VAR and BVAR Model; Forecast Accuracy; BVECM Forecasts; VECM Forecasts; BVAR Forecasts; ECM Forecasts; VAR Forecasts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E27 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E47 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-11-17 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-FOR-2007-11-17 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2007-11-17 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.