An Investigation of Openness and Economic Growth Using Panel Estimation
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of trade openness on economic growth for the SADC region in Africa over the period of 1990 to 2003. Based on a structure consistent with the endogenous growth theory, we find that trade openness has had a strong positive impact on economic growth in this region over this period. Our results are robust across alternative specifications and methodologies. The study also highlights the role of education in strengthening the effect of openness on sustainable growth, via better absorption of knowledge and technological spillovers from trade liberalization.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pretoria, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200622.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Trade Openness; Growth; Endogenous Growth Theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- N17 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Africa; Oceania
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Haq, Munshi Masudul, 2008. "Growth and openness: empirical evidence from Bangladesh," MPRA Paper 35732, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.