Workfare – The Reinvention of the Social
AbstractThe presentation aims on refocusing the mainstream debate, starting from looking at work as the central reference rather than seeing the constituting problem of workfare as one of social policy/social security. Of course, at the end the objective is a clearer understanding of how measures aiming on work and employment integration can meaningfully be utilised for responsible policy making. For this, an introductory step will look at what we are actually dealing with when we talk about workfare. Then a second step will very briefly present the EUropean political debate, returning thereafter to the question what we are actually dealing with when we talk about workfare. Then, in a third step, a paradox is presented: the gain of employment, going hand in hand with a loss of work. The conclusion will discuss in the fourth step workfare in the light of power and life.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9947.
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision:
workfare; social policy; Comparative social research;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N10 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - General, International, or Comparative
- B30 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - General
- H00 - Public Economics - - General - - - General
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- H10 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - General
- F00 - International Economics - - General - - - General
- A13 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Social Values
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herrmann, Peter & van der Maesen, Laurent J.G., 2008. "Social Quality and Precarity: Approaching New Patterns of Societal (Dis)Integration," MPRA Paper 10245, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.