Is Per Capita Real GDP Stationary in the OECD Countries? Evidence from a Panel Unit Root Test
AbstractThis paper examines the stationarity of real GDP per capita for 27 OECD countries during the period 1950 to 2004. Using ADF unit root test on single time series, it is found that real GDP per capita series of most OECD countries have unit root. This outcome, however, might be due to the generally low power of this test. The aim of this paper is to reconsider this issue by exploiting the extra information provided by the combination of the time-series and cross-sectional data and the subsequent power advantages of panel data unit root tests. We apply the test advocated by Im, Pesaran and Shin (1997). The results overwhelmingly indicate that real GDP per capita series among OECD countries are nonstationary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9635.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Real GDP per capita; Stationary; Panel Unit root tests; OECD;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cogley, T., 1989.
"International Evidence On The Size Of The Random Walk In Output,"
Working Papers, University of Washington, Department of Economics
89-02, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Cogley, Timothy, 1990. "International Evidence on the Size of the Random Walk in Output," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 501-18, June.
- Cogley, T., 1989. "International Evidence On The Size Of The Random Walk In Output," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington, Department of Economics at the University of Washington 89-02, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Bruce E. Hansen & Mehmet Caner, 1997.
"Threshold Autoregressions with a Unit Root,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics
381, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Smyth, Russell & Inder, Brett, 2004. "Is Chinese provincial real GDP per capita nonstationary?: Evidence from multiple trend break unit root tests," China Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-24.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie David, 1996.
"Deterministic, Stochastic, and Segmented Trends in Aggregate Output: A Cross-Country Analysis,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 48(1), pages 134-62, January.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie Chinn, 1995. "Deterministic, stochastic and segmented trends in aggregate output: A cross-country analysis," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 9508005, EconWPA.
- Ben-David, D. & Papell, D.H., 1995. "The Great War, The Great Crash and Steady State Growth: Some New Evidence an Old Stylized Fact," Papers, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies 36-95, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, .
"Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?,"
186, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2002. "Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002, Royal Economic Society 13, Royal Economic Society.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Fleissig, Adrian R. & Strauss, Jack, 1999. "Is OECD real per capita GDP trend or difference stationary? Evidence from panel unit root tests," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 673-689.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers, National Institute of Economic and Social Research 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Kormendi, Roger C & Meguire, Philip, 1990. "A Multicountry Characterization of the Nonstationarity of Aggregate Output," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(1), pages 77-93, February.
- Abuaf, Niso & Jorion, Philippe, 1990. " Purchasing Power Parity in the Long Run," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 157-74, March.
- David E. Rapach, 2002. "Are Real GDP Levels Nonstationary? Evidence from Panel Data Tests," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 473-495, January.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Hwa-Taek Lee & Gawon Yoon, 2013. "Does purchasing power parity hold sometimes? Regime switching in real exchange rates," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(16), pages 2279-2294, June.
- Tsangyao Chang & Gengnan Chiang & Yichun Zhang, 2009. "Is volume index of gdp per capita stationary in oecd countries? panel stationary tests with structural breaks," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 588-598.
- Pandey, Alok Kumar & Dixit, Annapurna, 2011. "Inequality, Decomposition of Inequality and Stationarity of State Domestic Product: An Empirical Evidence from Twenty Indian States," MPRA Paper 54237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.