Learning from the Extreme Poor: Participatory Approaches to Fostering Child Health in Madagascar
AbstractVery poor people are often considered ignorant and even incapable of thinking, because they have had no opportunity to gain skill in expression through education. The experience of contempt and exclusion is deep among the poorest, whether they live in rich or poor countries, and it often prevents them from participating in social programs. This note provides a summary of a study on access to health care conducted by the International Movement ATD Fourth World in Madagascar, with the aim to outline the organization's approach to reaching the very poor and building projects in close partnership with them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9053.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Extreme Poverty; Health Care; Community Development; Madagascar;
Other versions of this item:
- Caroline Blanchard & Xavier Godinot & Chantal Laureau & Quentin Wodon, 2007. "Learning from the Extreme Poor : Participatory Approaches to Fostering Child Health in Madagascar," World Bank Other Operational Studies 9561, The World Bank.
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Woden, Q., 2001. "Attacking Extreme Poverty. Learning from the Experience of the International Movement ATD Fourth World," Papers 502, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Xavier Godinot & Quentin Wodon, 2006. "Participatory Approaches to Attacking Extreme Poverty : Cases Studies Led by the International Movement ATD Fourth World," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7220, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.