On the Equivalence of the Weighted Least Squares and the Generalised Least Squares Estimators, with Applications to Kernel Smoothing
AbstractThe paper establishes the conditions under which the generalised least squares estimator of the regression parameters is equivalent to the weighted least squares estimator. The equivalence conditions have interesting applications in local polynomial regression and kernel smoothing. Specifically, they enable to derive the optimal kernel associated with a particular covariance structure of the measurement error, where optimality has to be intended in the Gauss-Markov sense. For local polynomial regression it is shown that there is a class of covariance structures, associated with non-invertible moving average processes of given orders which yield the the Epanechnikov and the Henderson kernels as the optimal kernels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 8910.
Date of creation: 30 May 2008
Date of revision:
Local polynomial regression; Epanechnikov Kernel; Non-invertible Moving average processes;
Other versions of this item:
- Alessandra Luati & Tommaso Proietti, 2011. "On the equivalence of the weighted least squares and the generalised least squares estimators, with applications to kernel smoothing," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(4), pages 851-871, August.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-06-07 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-06-07 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2008-06-07 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wallis, Kenneth F, 1981. "Models for X-11 and 'X-11-Forecast' Procedures for Preliminary and Revised Seasonal Adjustments," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 198, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 1992. "Geometry of the Equivalence of OLS and GLS in the Linear Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 158-159, March.
- Frederick R. Macaulay, 1931. "Appendices to "The Smoothing of Time Series"," NBER Chapters, in: The Smoothing of Time Series, pages 118-169 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tian, Yongge & Wiens, Douglas P., 2006. "On equality and proportionality of ordinary least squares, weighted least squares and best linear unbiased estimators in the general linear model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(12), pages 1265-1272, July.
- Kramer, Walter & Hassler, Uwe, 1998.
"Limiting efficiency of OLS vs. GLS when regressors are fractionally integrated,"
Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 285-290, September.
- Krämer, Walter & Hassler, Uwe, 1997. "Limiting efficiency of OLS vs. GLS when regressors are fractionally integrated," Technical Reports 1997,01, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Frederick R. Macaulay, 1931. "The Smoothing of Economic Time Series, Curve Fitting and Graduation," NBER Chapters, in: The Smoothing of Time Series, pages 31-42 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederick R. Macaulay, 1931. "Introduction to "The Smoothing of Time Series"," NBER Chapters, in: The Smoothing of Time Series, pages 17-30 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986. "Asymptotic Equivalence of OLS and GLS in Regressions with Integrated Regressors," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 802, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- McAleer, Michael, 1992. "Efficient Estimation: The Rao-Zyskind Condition, Kruskal's Theorem and Ordinary Least Squares," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 68(200), pages 65-72, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.