The potential use of derivatives to manage the price risk of seafood markets: the case of sole and cuttlefish in France
AbstractTaking into consideration the changes in the rules for the price support for agricultural and sea products, it seems appropriate to find out what other means could be used to cover the price risk in order to protect the commercial margin of these sectors of activity. The use of derivatives tools helps achieve this objective. We first emphasize the interest of such a study for fresh seafood markets and make a brief presentation of the various tools available to facilitate the understanding of future choices. Then we conduct a statistical analysis concerning the common sole and cuttlefish French markets which shows a good correlation level between sizes, presentations, qualities and the possibility to launch indices by species and OTC optional transactions on them. The last section brings into perspective the results and points out the various steps to take to make it functional.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 841.
Date of creation: 04 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Cuttlefish; Derivative instruments; Price risk management; Sole;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- G19 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Other
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-25 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.