Improving Distributed Intelligence in Complex Innovation Systems
AbstractScience and technology (S&T) are considered to be a central source, or at least a basic medium, of societal and industrial innovation, while innovation is conceived to basically feed the regeneration of our welfare. The suppliers of S&T in Europe as well as the users of their „products“, are confronted with a number of challenges today. We want to stress here that it was not the primary goal of our Advanced Science & Technology Policy Planning (ASTPP) Network to come up with proposals how the strategic character of European S&T policies could be strengthened. The ASTPP-network instead focuses on one aspect: the provision of strategic intelligence necessary to identify and develop strategic choices. The underlying hypothesis is that the existing body of experiences with technology foresight, technology assessment and S/T policy evaluation provides a basis for the development of an advanced S&T policy „planning“ approach by trying to enhance, interlink or even integrate the growing, but still dispersed experience in these three areas of intelligence. By „intelligent“ we mean that the inter-relatedness of S&T, industrial efforts, societal needs and political interventions becomes more transparent so that interactive collaboration between them will be facilitated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6426.
Date of creation: Jun 1999
Date of revision: May 1999
innovation; Technology Policy; technology foresight; assessment; evaluation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- D00 - Microeconomics - - General - - - General
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cocchi, Andrea, 2011. "Business models as systemic instruments for the evolution of traditional districts?," MPRA Paper 33766, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ebersberger, Bernd & Edler, Jakob & Lo, Vivien, 2006. "Improving policy understanding by means of secondary analyses of policy evaluation : a concept development," Discussion Papers "Innovation Systems and Policy Analysis" 12, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Moniz, António & Gomes, Cláudia, 2002.
"Impactos sociais do desinvestimento
[Social Impacts of divestment]," MPRA Paper 5882, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2002.
- Pedrosa Sanz, Rosario & Moñux Chércoles,Diego & Miranda Escolar,Belen & Aleixandre Mendizábal,Guillermo & Aleixandre Gómez González, Francisco Javier, 2007. "La Evaluación del Impacto Social de las Políticas Regionales de I+d+i: Hacia una Lista de Control/The Evaluation of the Social Impact of Regional Rtd and Innovation Policies: Towards a Checklist," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 215-244, Abril.
- Georg Aichholzer, 2001. "Delphi Austria - An Example of Tailoring Foresight to the Needs of a Small Country," ITA manu:scripts 01_02, Institute of Technology Assessment (ITA).
- Nuno Boavida, 2011. "How composite indicators of innovation can influence technology policy decision?," IET Working Papers Series 03/2011, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, IET/CESNOVA-Research on Enterprise and Work Innovation, Faculty of Science and Technology.
- Laranja, Manuel & Uyarra, Elvira & Flanagan, Kieron, 2008. "Policies for science, technology and innovation: Translating rationales into regional policies in a multi-level setting," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 823-835, June.
- Kuitunen, Soile, 2000. "The Role Of Eu Structural Funds In Enhancing The Emergence Of Regional Innovations And Innovation Policiestheoretical Points Of Departure And Some Empirical Findings," ERSA conference papers ersa00p426, European Regional Science Association.
- Haarich, Silke Nicole & Uyarra, Elvira, 2002. "Evaluation, foresight and participation as new elements for regional innovation policy practice: lessons from the regional innovation strategies (RIS)," ERSA conference papers ersa02p099, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.