Indian Agriculture in the New Economic Regime, 1971-2003: Empirics based on the Cobb Douglas Production Function
AbstractThis paper reviews the trends in Indian Agriculture before and after the introduction of the economic reforms, and the advent of WTO regime. We employ the Cobb Douglas Production Function using the OLS specification to investigate the determinants of agricultural gross domestic product for the period 1970-71 to 2002-03, during pre and post-economic reforms to document the impact of policy change (post-1992) and India’s membership of the WTO (post-1995). Our empirical findings reveal that Indian agriculture sector has witnessed Decreasing Returns to Scale after the introduction of economic reforms, indicating that the input availability is under strain during the same period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6150.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Agriculture Gross Domestic Product; WTO; Economic Reforms; Trends; Determinants; Returns to Scale; Cobb Douglas Production Function; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
- A1 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-12-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2007-12-15 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syrquin, Moshe, 1988. "Patterns of structural change," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery† & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 203-273 Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.