The Linkage Between Lis And Rbv For Sustained Competitive Advantage: An Integrated Conceptual Model
AbstractAn important factor that guarantees a persistent competitive advantage is the sustainability of the firm’s capabilities or their core competences. These capabilities should form the basic support of firm’s strategy. Several authors point out the importance of the information systems (IS) for firm competitive advantage. The main tenet of this paper is to define a coherent theoretical framework of reference which will lead to a broader understanding of the relationship between Logistics Information Systems (LIS) and RBV in an integrating conceptual model for gaining and sustaining competitive advantages of firms. The paper argues that most failures of firms can be attributed to the fact that resources and capabilities of firms were either not existing or not addresses correctly. Neglecting IS linkage to resources and capabilities is one main reason for the failure. In this sense, a precondition for a sustained competitive advantage is to admit LIS as specific source of firms’ distinctive competences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5648.
Date of creation: 07 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Information Systems; Logistics Information Systems; Resource-Based View (RBV); Competitive Advantage;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Bendoly, Elliot, 2007. "Resource enablement modeling: Implications for studying the diffusion of technology," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(2), pages 537-553, June.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Carraresi, Laura & Mamaqi, Xhevrie & Albisu, Luis Miguel & Banterle, Alessandro, 2012. "Strategic Capabilities and Performance: An Application of Resource-Based View in Italian Food SMEs," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144955, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.