The Development of the Hungarian Banking Sector Prior to Basel II
AbstractAlthough the economic transition started in the early of 1990s, Hungary had a pioneer role in introducing the two-tier banking system within the former Soviet Eastern Block. The modernization of the banking system was unexpectedly far-reaching as Western banks were allowed to participate in the market. The Hungarian banking system was widely government run before the first commercial bank was opened by the National Bank of Hungary and five foreign commercial banks were established in 1979. The pioneer role was maintained even during the transition years when foreign-owned commercial banks could establish their subsidiaries. This paper attempts to examine the performance of the Hungarian banking sector once foreign investments occurred, and its functions as well as its stability in the transition period before the implementation of the Basel II Accord. It also reveals the doubts policy makers had about the Basel II Accord and its affect on the lending behavior of banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 54343.
Date of creation: 15 Feb 2014
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in International Journal of Knowledge and Innovation in Business 1.1(2014): pp. 53-70
Basel II; Hungary; privatization; foreign ownership; banking stability; pro-cyclicity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2014-03-22 (Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2014-03-22 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-TRA-2014-03-22 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Majnoni, Giovanni & Shankar, Rashmi & Varhegyi, Eva, 2003. "The dynamics of foreign bank ownership - evidence from Hungary," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3114, The World Bank.
- Katalin Mérõ & Balázs Zsámboki & Edit Horváth & András Bethlendi & Anna Naszódi & Anikó Szombati & István Czajlik, 2003. "Studies On The Potential Impacts Of The New Basel Capital Accord," MNB Occasional Papers 2003/27, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.