A taxa de remuneração do capital e a nova regulação das telecomunicações
[Cost of capital and the new regulation of telecommunications services]
AbstractAn adequate rate of return on capital yielded by the regulated firms is a central issue related to the new cost-based approach adopted by the Brazilian Telecommunication Regulatory Agency (Anatel). In this context, careful attention must be given to the Weighted Average Cost of Capital (WACC) estimation. Downside bias can harm innovation and infrastructure future investment decisions and upside bias contradicts the government main directive to reduce tariffs and foster competition, in fact, both mistakes reduces social welfare. In this respect, the article intends to offer methodological insights, based on well-accepted theoretical achievements and best practices abroad, for the task of estimate a telecom WACC taking account of specific regulatory and sectorial Brazilian characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5400.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Custo de Capital; Telecomunicações; Revisão Tarifária;
Other versions of this item:
- Gabriel Fiuza de Bragança & Katia Rocha & Fernando Camacho, 2006. "A Taxa de Remuneração do Capital e a Nova Regulação das Telecomunicações," Discussion Papers 1160, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Hausman, Jerry & Myers, Stewart, 2002. "Regulating the United States Railroads: The Effects of Sunk Costs and Asymmetric Risk," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 287-310, November.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Pereiro, Luis E., 2001. "The valuation of closely-held companies in Latin America," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 330-370, December.
- Pindyck Robert S., 2007.
"Mandatory Unbundling and Irreversible Investment in Telecom Networks,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-25, September.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2004. "Mandatory Unbundling and Irreversible Investment in Telecom Networks," NBER Working Papers 10287, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Camacho, Fernando, 2004.
"Custo de capital de indústrias reguladas no Brasil
[Cost of capital of regulated industries in Brazil]," MPRA Paper 5396, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Camacho, Fernando & Bragança, Gabriel & Rocha, Katia, 2005.
"A remuneração de capital nas telecomunicações e o novo contexto regulatório brasileiro
[The remuneration of capital in the telecommunications and the new Brazilian regulatory context]," MPRA Paper 5399, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.