Farmland Ownership Policy: Technical Paper
AbstractIn this paper I develop a theoretical model to analyze policy that restricts who can own land. I briefly review research related to such policy in Saskatchewan, Canada, and identify a standard supply-demand model that I extend in several ways. First, I replicate results for how policy affects prices and develop new results for how policy affects social welfare using comparative statics. Second, I extend the model to a dynamic setting where demand curves change over time and show that policy can affect price changes in variety of ways, which I refer to as comparative dynamics. Third, I conduct a series of simulations to compare my model and a standard model. I establish stylistic facts about data on price levels, differences, and ratios generated by the different models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 53185.
Date of creation: 25 Jan 2014
Date of revision:
Farmland; ownership; policy; demand and supply; comparative statics; comparative dynamics; simulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C00 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - General
- D00 - Microeconomics - - General - - - General
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shon Ferguson & Hartley Furtan & Jared Carlberg, 2006. "The political economy of farmland ownership regulations and land prices," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 59-65, 07.
- Carlberg, Jared G., 2002. "Effects Of Ownership Restrictions On Farmland Values In Saskatchewan," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(02), August.
- Bell, Peter N, 2014. "Farmland Ownership Restrictions: Between a Rock and a Hard Place," MPRA Paper 53033, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.