R&D, Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation : A Comment
AbstractThis paper shows that the results of Bucci (2003) depend criti- cally on the assumption that there are no difference between the intermediate goods share in final output, the returns of specialization and the degree of market power of monopolistic competitors. In this paper, we disentangle the market power parameter from the intermediate goods share in final output and the returns to specialization. The main result of this paper is that the competition has no effect on growth contrary to Bucci (2003). This result is explained by the fact that economic growth rate depends on the parameters describing preference and the human capital accumulation technology but is completely independent of competition and R&D activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5243.
Date of creation: 09 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Endogenous growth; Horizontal di®erentiation; Technologi- cal change; Imperfect competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-10-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HRM-2007-10-13 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-MIC-2007-10-13 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominique Bianco, 2007.
"An Inverted U-Relationship between Product Market Competition and Growth in an Extended Romerian Model: A Comment,"
Rivista di Politica Economica,
SIPI Spa, vol. 97(5), pages 245-258, September.
- Bianco, Dominique, 2007. "An inverted-U relationship between product market competition and Growth in an extended romerian model : A comment," MPRA Paper 4492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 2005. "Growth with Quality-Improving Innovations: An Integrated Framework," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 67-110 Elsevier.
- Philippe Aghion & Nick Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2005.
"Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 120(2), pages 701-728, May.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted U Relationship," NBER Working Papers 9269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and innovation: an inverted U relationship," IFS Working Papers W02/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Howitt, Peter & Griffith, Rachel & Aghion, Philippe & Blundell, Richard & Bloom, Nick, 2005. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship," Scholarly Articles 4481507, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003.
"R&D, Imperfect Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 417-439, 09.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003. "R&D, imperfect competition and growth with human capital accumulation," Departmental Working Papers 2003-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1991. "Monopolistic competition," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 37, pages 1997-2045 Elsevier.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Bucci, Alberto & Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo, 2009.
"Horizontal innovation-based growth and product market competition,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 213-221, January.
- Alberto Bucci & Carmelo Parello, 2006. "Horizontal Innovation-Based Growth and Product Market Competition," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1032, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.