Playful Dragon: Messing and missing trade
AbstractAn examination of available data reveals large trade misinvoicing between the People’s Republic of China and identified trade partners. The analysis finds a net trade misinvoicing of US$ 287.6 billion between 2000 and 2005, while the full magnitude of unrecorded trade is estimated at US$ 1.4 trillion. Further analysis also finds that there is an accounted misinvoicing or missing trade of US$ 53.7 billion for the same period. China needs to have more effective management of its trade flows. At the same time, the international community needs to contribute to put up more effective governance mechanisms to address trade misinvoicing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5156.
Date of creation: 05 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
International trade; trade misinvoicing; China;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-10-13 (China)
- NEP-INT-2007-10-13 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Bowles and Herbert Gintis., 1988.
"Contested Exchange: Political Economy and Modern Economic Theory,"
Economics Working Papers
8876, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bowles, Samuel & Gintis, Herbert, 1988. "Contested Exchange: Political Economy and Modern Economic Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 145-50, May.
- Bowles, Samuel & Gintis, Herbert, 1988. "Contested Exchange: Political Economy and Modern Economic Theory," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt82d2v3gb, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Edsel L. Beja, 2007.
"Forensic Accounting: Hidden Balance of Payments of the Philippines,"
wp130, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Beja, Edsel Jr., 2006. "Forensic Accounting: Hidden balance of payments of the Philippines," MPRA Paper 4828, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Sep 2007.
- Hubert Gabrisch & Karin Szalai, 2002. "The use of unit values in estimating trade-related capital flight -The case of CEE countries with special focus on Russia," IWH Discussion Papers 161, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "The Case of the Missing Trade and Other Mysteries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1029-46, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.