Natural resource rents, fiscal policy and economic growth in Algeria
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to examine the dynamic relationship between natural resource rents, government spending, government revenues and economic growth in Algeria during the period 1980-2011. The empirical results reveal a bidirectional causal relationship between economic growth and natural resource rents and another bidirectional relationship between total revenues and naturel resource revenues. We also find no cointegration between government spending and government revenues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 49910.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Algeria; Naturel ressources rents;
Other versions of this item:
- Helmi Hamdi & Rashid Sbia, 2013. "The relationship between natural resources rents, trade openness and economic growth in Algeria," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1649-1659.
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
- P3 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sachs, J-D & Warner, A-M, 1995.
"Natural Resource Abundance and Economic Growth,"
517a, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 2003. "Institutions Don't Rule: Direct Effects of Geography on Per Capita Income," NBER Working Papers 9490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Zoega, Gylfi, 2001.
"Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2006. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(8), pages 1091-1115, 08.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2004. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_011, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," EPRU Working Paper Series, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics 01-02, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2002. "Natural Resources And Economic Growth: The Role Of Investment," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 142, Central Bank of Chile.
- Solow, Robert, 1993. "An almost practical step toward sustainability," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 162-172, September.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data,"
78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- Doran, Howard E. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1997. "Applying linear time-varying constraints to econometric models: With an application to demand systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 83-95, July.
- Bélaïd, Fateh & Abderrahmani, Fares, 2013. "Electricity consumption and economic growth in Algeria: A multivariate causality analysis in the presence of structural change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 286-295.
- Auty, Richard M., 1994. "Industrial policy reform in six large newly industrializing countries: The resource curse thesis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 11-26, January.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Hamdi, Helmi & Sbia, Rashid, 2013. "Dynamic relationships between oil revenues, government spending and economic growth in an oil-dependent economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 118-125.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.