Singular Spectrum Analysis: Methodology and Comparison
AbstractIn recent years Singular Spectrum Analysis (SSA), used as a powerful technique in time series analysis, has been developed and applied to many practical problems. In this paper, the performance of the SSA technique has been considered by applying it to a well-known time series data set, namely, monthly accidental deaths in the USA. The results are compared with those obtained using Box-Jenkins SARIMA models, the ARAR algorithm and the Holt-Winter algorithm (as described in Brockwell and Davis (2002)). The results show that the SSA technique gives a much more accurate forecast than the other methods indicated above.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4991.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Data Science 2.5(2007): pp. 239-257
ARAR algorithm; Box-Jenkins SARIMA models; Holt-Winter algorithm; singular spectrum analysis (SSA); USA monthly accidental deaths series;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-09-30 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FOR-2007-09-30 (Forecasting)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Md Atikur Rahman Khan & D.S. Poskitt, 2010. "Description Length Based Signal Detection in singular Spectrum Analysis," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics 13/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Telesca, Luciano & Lovallo, Michele & Shaban, Amin & Darwich, Talal & Amacha, Nabil, 2013. "Singular spectrum analysis and Fisher–Shannon analysis of spring flow time series: An application to Anjar Spring, Lebanon," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 392(17), pages 3789-3797.
- Menezes, Rui & Dionísio, Andreia & Hassani, Hossein, 2012. "On the globalization of stock markets: An application of Vector Error Correction Model, Mutual Information and Singular Spectrum Analysis to the G7 countries," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 369-384.
- M. Atikur Rahman Khan & D.S. Poskitt, 2014. "On The Theory and Practice of Singular Spectrum Analysis Forecasting," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics 3/14, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Beneki, Christina & Eeckels, Bruno & Leon, Costas, 2009.
"Signal Extraction and Forecasting of the UK Tourism Income Time Series. A Singular Spectrum Analysis Approach,"
18354, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christina Beneki & Bruno Eeckels & Costas Leon, 2012. "Signal Extraction and Forecasting of the UK Tourism Income Time Series: A Singular Spectrum Analysis Approach," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(5), pages 391-400, 08.
- Telesca, Luciano & Lovallo, Michele & Babayev, Gulam & Kadirov, Fakhraddin, 2013. "Spectral and informational analysis of seismicity: An application to the 1996–2012 seismicity of the Northern Caucasus–Azerbaijan part of the greater Caucasus–Kopet Dag region," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 392(23), pages 6064-6078.
- repec:rdg:wpaper:em-dp2013-04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dimitrios Thomakos & Hossein Hassani & Kerry Patterson, 2013. "Optimal Linear Filtering, Smoothing and Trend Extraction for the m-th Differences of a Unit Root Process: A Singular Spectrum Analysis Approach," Economics & Management Discussion Papers, Henley Business School, Reading University em-dp2013-04, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Hassani, Hossein & Heravi, Saeed & Zhigljavsky, Anatoly, 2009. "Forecasting European industrial production with singular spectrum analysis," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 103-118.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.