Structure and Performance of Commercial Banks in Pakistan
AbstractCommercial banks undertake business of risk in an environment of asymmetric information. This is why, the industrial economists who are interested in theory of incomplete information and principal-agent framework have found the banking industry a promising field of research. There are number of studies on the behavior of commercial banks in various countries under structure-conduct-performance paradigm of industrial economics. However, there is hardly one in the context of Pakistan. This study attempted to analyze the structure and performance of commercial banks in Pakistan under the framework of industrial organization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4983.
Date of creation: Oct 2003
Date of revision:
commercial banks; Pakistan; Structure conduct performance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Swank, Job, 1996. "Theories of the Banking Firm: A Review of the Literature," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 173-207, July.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Kalbe Abbas & Manzoor Hussain Malik, 2010.
"Impact of Financial Liberalisation and Deregulation on Banking Sector in Pakistan,"
Finance Working Papers
23068, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kalbe Abbas & Manzoor Hussain Malik, 2008. "Impact of Financial Liberalisation and Deregulation on Banking Sector in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(3), pages 287-313.
- Kalbe Abbas & Manzoor Hussain Malik, 2010. "Impact of Financial Liberalisation and Deregulation on Banking Sector in Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2010:64, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.