Determinants of Student Choice of Undergraduate Major Field
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of student choice of undergraduate major field. It argues that this choice depends on a variety of pecuniary and non-pecuniary factors. After allowing for the recent trends toward Accounting and Business Administration, the empirical results indicate that earnings differentials among fields and differences in the rate of change in earnings among fields are the most important factors in the student's decision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 49826.
Date of creation: 02 Nov 1981
Date of revision: 05 Feb 1982
Publication status: Published in American Education Research Journal 2.19(1982): pp. 303-312
choice of major; earnings; earnings growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Lee Hansen, 1963. "Total and Private Rates of Return to Investment in Schooling," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 128.
- Rita van Deuren & Sicco C. Santema, 2012. "How to choose your minor? Decision making variables used in the selection of a minor by undergraduate students from a Dutch university of applied sciences," Working Papers 2012/06, Maastricht School of Management.
- Si, Xiaojing & Foley, Maggie & Boylan, Robert & Cebula, Richard, 2011. "The Return to Investment in Human Capital: The Case of the Value of Educational Attainment beyond the High School Diploma in Canada," MPRA Paper 53164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beverley Jackling & Claude Calero, 2006. "Influences on Undergraduate Students' Intentions to become Qualified Accountants: Evidence from Australia," Accounting Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 419-438.
- Easterlin, Richard A., 1993. "Prices and Preferences in Choice of Career: The Switch to Business, 1972-87," Williams Project on the Economics of Higher Education DP-21, Department of Economics, Williams College.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.