Access to finance of independent SMEs in Luxembourg. The consequences of the crisis
AbstractThis paper analyses the availability of external funding for Luxembourgish independent small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) before and during the crisis. SMEs represent a large part of the private sector in Luxembourg. External finance is essential to enable firms to invest in order to increase their productivity, innovate and create employment. Data used come from the Access to Finance (ATF) survey conducted by STATEC in 2010 and coordinated by Eurostat. This paper provides some stylized facts on access to finance in Luxembourg. It presents results from a regression analysis on how the individual characteristics, the past behavior and the business environment perception affect the decision about whether or not to seek external finance. The results of estimations show that past behavior is the most important determinant of seeking finance. Particular emphasis is placed on assessing the consequences of the 2007-2010 recession by introducing variables related to changes in perception between 2007 and 2010 and growth constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 49330.
Date of creation: 18 Jul 2013
Date of revision:
SMEs; Access to finance; Luxembourg; survey data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D04 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Microeconomic Policy: Formulation; Implementation; Evaluation
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- M2 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2013-08-31 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-SBM-2013-08-31 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Praag, Mirjam & Versloot, Peter H., 2007.
"What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007. "What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Thibault Fally & Stefano Scarpetta, 2007.
"Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 22, pages 731-779, October.
- Scarpetta, Stefano & Fally, Thibault & Aghion, Philippe, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," Scholarly Articles 4554208, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Fally, Thibault & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 3237, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Laeven, L. & Maksimovic, V., 2006.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4295079, Tilburg University.
- Spiros Bougheas & Paul Mizen & Cihan Yalcin, 2004. "Access to External Finance : Theory and Evidence on the Impact of Firm-Specific Characteristics," Working Papers 0406, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Wagenvoort, Rien, 2003. "Are finance constraints hindering the growth of SMEs in Europe?," EIB Papers 7/2003, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1994.
"Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 62(0), pages 1-40, Suppl..
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1994. "Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective," NBER Working Papers 4636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Beck, T.H.L. & Honohan, P., 2008. "Finance for all?: Policies and pitfalls in expanding access," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3508393, Tilburg University.
- Harrison, Ann E. & McMillan, Margaret S., 2003. "Does direct foreign investment affect domestic credit constraints?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 73-100, October.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
NBER Working Papers
5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2005. "Financial and Legal Constraints to Growth: Does Firm Size Matter?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 137-177, 02.
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010.
"The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009. "The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2007066 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rym Ayadi & Beat Bernet & Simona Bovha-Padilla & Tom Franck & Nancy Huyghebaert & Vitor Gaspar & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2009. "Financing SMEs in Europe," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2009/3 edited by Morten Balling & Beat Bernet & Ernest Gnan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.