Exchange rate volatility and exchange rate uncertainty in Nigeria: a financial econometric analysis (1970- 2012)
AbstractThis research paper examines exchange rate volatility over time (1970-2012) using the Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity (AR GARCH) model of the Maximum Likelihood techniques. Our AR GARCH result showed that lagged (last year) exchange rate is significantly responsible for the dynamics of Naira/ Dollar exchange rate in Nigeria. Most glaring is that our ARCH and GARCH parameters indicate that exchange rate volatility shocks are rather persistent in Nigeria. We also find that exchange rate uncertainty has a direct relationship with current exchange rate in Nigeria. Further, the Granger causality test conducted shows that the direction of causality is more powerful and significant from exchange rate uncertainty to actual exchange rate in Nigeria. Thus the paper suggests a proper management of exchange rate, to forestall costly distortions in the Nigerian economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 48316.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision: 2013
GARCH Models; Financial Econometrics; Foreign Exchange rate; Monetary Policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-07-20 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2013-07-20 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- John Weeks, 2008. "The Effectiveness of Monetary Policy Reconsidered," Publications 3, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Engle, Robert F, 2000. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation - A Simple Class of Multivariate GARCH Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt56j4143f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1993. " ARCH Models: Properties, Estimation and Testing," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 305-66, December.
- George Hondroyiannis & P.A.V.B. Swamy & George S. Tavlas & Michael Ulan, 2005.
"Some Further Evidence on Exchange-Rate Volatility and Exports,"
28, Bank of Greece.
- George Hondroyiannis & P.A.V.B. Swamy & George Tavlas & Michael Ulan, 2008. "Some Further Evidence on Exchange-Rate Volatility and Exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 151-180, April.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Robert Lafrance & Jean-François Perrault, 2002.
"Does Exchange Rate Policy Matter for Growth?,"
02-17, Bank of Canada.
- Christopher Adam & David Cobham, 2008. "Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes for MENA countries: Gravity Model Estimates of the Trade Effects," CERT Discussion Papers 0803, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Andrea Cipollini & Panicos Demetriades, 2003.
"Monetary Policy and the Exchange Rate During the Asian Crisis: Identification Through Heteroscedasticity,"
CEIS Research Paper
23, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Cipollini, Andrea & Demetriades, Panicos O., 2005. "Monetary policy and the exchange rate during the Asian crisis: identification through heteroscedasticity," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-53, February.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Andrea Cipollini & Panicos Demetriades, 2000. "Monetary Policy and the Exchange Rate During the Asian Crisis Identification Through Heteroscedasticity," Discussion Papers in Economics 00/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Feb 2002.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Kidane, A., 1999. "Real Exchange Rate Price and Agricultural Supply Response in Ethiopia: The Case of Perennial Crops," Papers 99, African Economic Research Consortium.
- Michael Bleaney, & Manuela Francisco, . "The Performance of Exchange Rate Regimes in Developing Countries - Does the Classifications Scheme Matter?," Discussion Papers 07/04, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2007. "Effects of exchange rate policy on bilateral export trade of WAMZ countries," MPRA Paper 6234, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001. "Monetary Policy Rules and the Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 2807, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Etienne B. Yehoue & Gilles J. DufrÃ©not, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: A Panel Co-Integration and Common Factor Analysis," IMF Working Papers 05/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Louis Kuijs, 1998. "Determinants of Inflation, Exchange Rate, and Output in Nigeria," IMF Working Papers 98/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x, January.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2001.
"Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Transition Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2004. "Real exchange rate dynamics in transition economies," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 83-100, March.
- Mariusz Jarmuzek & Lucjan T. Orlowski & Artur Radziwill, 2005. "Monetary Policy Transparency in the Inflation Targeting," Macroeconomics 0502025, EconWPA.
- Marcos Alvarez-Diaz, 2008. "A note on forecasting exchange rates using a cluster technique," International Journal of Business Forecasting and Marketing Intelligence, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 68-81.
- Bleaney, Michael & Fielding, David, 2002. "Exchange rate regimes, inflation and output volatility in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 233-245, June.
- Adubi, A.A. & Okunmadewa, F., 1999. "Price, Exchange Rate Volatility and Nigeria's Agricultural Trade Flows: a Dynamic Analysis," Papers 87, African Economic Research Consortium.
- Aristidis Bitzenis & John Marangos, 2007. "The monetary model of exchange rate determination: the case of Greece (1974â€“1994)," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 57-88.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.