Islamic norms, the excel formula and home financing models
AbstractThis paper adds to the series of writings on Islamic home financing presented and published by the author since February 2010. It spells out certain norms Islamic banks must observe in home financing and demonstrates that the conventional model based on an Excel formula does not meet the stated norms. It may well be emphasized that in Islam the question of observing these norms arises before, and not after, the selection of the formula; additional juristic requirements may only follow subsequently. Is it not then strange many Islamic banks are using the formula to determine the periodic instalment payments in their home financing programs? The paper finds, for example, the popular Musharakah-Mutanaqisa Partnership (MMP) Islamic home financing model to be non-compliant with the stated norms. It presents a new model―the Zubair Diminishing Balance Method (ZDBM) ― and argues that the alternative is not only fully observant but is superior to the MMP model on some other counts as well.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47955.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision: 2013
Publication status: Published in ISRA: International Journal of Islamic Finance 1.5(2013): pp. 7-28
Home finance; Excel amortization formula; Compounding; Islamic norms; Justice.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G02 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Behavioral Finance: Underlying Principles
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011.
"Riba in La-riba contracts:where to turn in Islamic home financing?,"
34386, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2012. ""Riba in La-riba contracts: where to turn in Islamic home financing?," MPRA Paper 38166, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011. "Riba in La-riba contracts: where to turn in Islamic home financing?," MPRA Paper 35421, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edib Smolo & M. Kabir Hassan, 2011. "The potentials of musharakah mutanaqisah for Islamic housing finance," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 237-258, August.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011.
"Islamic house financing:current models and a proposal from social perspective,"
27919, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2010. ""Islamic house financing:current models and a proposal from social perspective," MPRA Paper 31638, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Apr 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.