A classification approach to Walrasian equilibrium with substitutability
AbstractIn exchange economies with indivisible objects, the substitutability of agents' preferences is essential for the guaranteed existence of Walrasian equilibrium. In this paper, we analyze the ranges of variation for agents' preferences that will guarantee the existence of equilibrium when some agents' preferences are known to satisfy the substitutability condition. Our approach is based on a classification result that partitions the set of economies into disjoint weak similarity classes such that whenever a weak similarity class contains an economy with an equilibrium, each economy in this class also has an equilibrium. The links among economies in the same weak similarity class are established with the notion of monotonization and tax systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47945.
Date of creation: 02 Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Equilibrium; indivisibility; substitutability; free disposal; tax system.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jos A.M. Potters & Anita van Gellekom & Hans Reijnierse, 2002. "Verifying gross substitutability," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 767-776.
- Ning Sun & Zaifu Yang, 2006. "Equilibria and Indivisibilities: Gross Substitutes and Complements," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(5), pages 1385-1402, 09.
- Hatfield, John William & Kojima, Fuhito, 2010. "Substitutes and stability for matching with contracts," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1704-1723, September.
- Kelso, Alexander S, Jr & Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "Job Matching, Coalition Formation, and Gross Substitutes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1483-1504, November.
- Gul, Faruk & Stacchetti, Ennio, 1999. "Walrasian Equilibrium with Gross Substitutes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 95-124, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.