Fair Value Accounting in Banking – Issues in Convergence to IFRS
AbstractThis paper intends to analyse and elucidate the impact of Fair Value Accounting on the banking industry in general and Indian Banking in particular in the light of the move towards convergence to International Financial Reporting Standards across the globe. In the light of criticism against fair value accounting for amplifying the subprime crisis and for causing a financial meltdown, the article has analysed the nature and impact of Fair Value Accounting in view of the recent announcement of the Indian version of IFRS i.e Ind AS by the regulators in India and its impact in relation to the contentious issues like; systemic risk, contagion and its impact on investors. Further, the article highlights the areas in which Indian banking industry is required to focus before and after the implementation of Fair Value Accounting and their consequences on the financial statements of the Bank.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47514.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in African Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance 3.1(2012): pp. 270-280
IFRS; Banking; Convergence of IFRS; Financial reporting; Investment; Capital; Banking;
Other versions of this item:
- Vighneswara Swamy & Vijayalakshmi, 2012. "Fair value accounting in banking - issues in convergence to IFRS," African Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 270-280.
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2013-06-16 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-06-16 (Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2013-06-16 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benston, George J., 2008. "The shortcomings of fair-value accounting described in SFAS 157," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 101-114.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.