The emergence and the development of the federations: The Achaean federation, the United Provinces and the EU
AbstractIn the present essay we analyse for the first time as far as we know the development of democracy, which emerged in Greece during the classical period, into the proto-federations of the democratic city-states. We examine their political institutions and policies, like common defense and external policy, military organization, representative federal bodies like popular assemblies, parliament, generals as military and political commanders, federal finance ministers etc., as well as their economic institutions and policies: Common currency, federal budget and federal revenues. We address in more detail as a case study the Achaean Federation. Then, we compare this particular proto-federation with the United Provinces (UP, the Dutch Republic) and show structural and organizational similarities. Lastly, we compare the Achaean federation with today’s European Union (EU) and conclude that in some respects the proto-federation was more advanced than the EU, and thus can serve as a benchmark in addressing current European issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47349.
Date of creation: 05 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Institutions; economic organization; Achaean federation; United Provinces; EU;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
- N9 - Economic History - - Regional and Urban History
- Z18 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Public Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2013-06-09 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-HIS-2013-06-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-POL-2013-06-09 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kyriazis, Nicholas & Economou, Emmanouel/Marios/Lazaros, 2012. "Property rights and democratic values in Bronze Age and Archaic Greece," MPRA Paper 42399, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicholas Kyriazis, 2009. "Financing the Athenian state: public choice in the age of Demosthenes," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 109-127, April.
- George Halkos & Nickolas Kyriazis, 2006. "Is tax competition harmful and is the EU an optimal tax area?," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 163-177, April.
- George Halkos & Nickolas Kyriazis, 2010. "The Athenian economy in the age of Demosthenes: path dependence and change," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 255-277, June.
- George Halkos & Nickolas Kyriazis, 2005. "A Naval Revolution and Institutional Change: The Case of the United Provinces," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 41-68, January.
- Economou, Emmanouel/Marios/Lazaros & Kyriazis, Nicholas, 2014. "Achaeans, Indians and Europeans: A Comparison of federations," MPRA Paper 57289, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.