On the Temporal Causal Relationship between Macroeconomic Variables: Empirical Evidence from India
AbstractThe present study examines the dynamic interactions among macroeconomic variables such as real output, prices, money supply, interest rate and exchange rate in India during the pre-economic crisis and economic crisis periods, using the ARDL bounds test for cointegration, Johansen and Juselius (1990) multivariate cointegration test, Granger causality/Block exogeneity Wald test based on Vector Error Correction Model, variance decomposition analysis and impulse response functions. The empirical results reveal a stronger long-run bilateral relationship between real output, price level, interest rate and exchange rate during the pre-crisis sample period. Moreover, the empirical results confirm a unidirectional short-run causality running from price level to exchange rate, interest rate to price level and real output to money supply during the pre-crisis period. Also, it is evident from the test results that there exist short-run bidirectional relationships running between real output and exchange rate, price level and interest rate in the pre-crisis era. In addition, the feedback relationship is also observed between interest rate and exchange rate variables in the short-run. Most importantly, long-run bidirectional causality is found between real output, exchange rate and interest rate during the economic crisis period. And the study results indicate short-run bidirectional causality between money supply and exchange rate, interest rate and price level and interest rate and output in India during the crisis era. Also, a short-run unidirectional causality runs from prices to real output in the crisis period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 46803.
Date of creation: 07 May 2013
Date of revision:
Macroeconomic variables; Cointegration; Causality; Variance Decomposition Analysis; Impulse Response Functions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Miller, Stephen M, 1991. "Monetary Dynamics: An Application of Cointegration and Error-Correction Modeling," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 139-54, May.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Helmut Herwartz & Hans-Eggert Reimers, 2006.
"Long-Run Links among Money, Prices and Output: Worldwide Evidence,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 65-86, 02.
- Reimers, Hans-Eggert & Herwartz, Helmut, 2001. "Long-Run Links Among Money, Prices, and Output: World-Wide Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2001,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- MUHD-ZULKHIBRI, Abdul Majid, 2007. "Causality Link Between Money, Output And Prices In Malaysia: An Empirical Re-Examination," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- James G. MacKinnon & Alfred A. Haug & Leo Michelis, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration,"
1996_07, York University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G & Haug, Alfred A & Michelis, Leo, 1999. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 563-77, Sept.-Oct.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Haug, A.A. & Michelis, L., 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a09, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Jiranyakul, Komain, 2009. "Relationship among Money, Prices and Aggregate Output in Thailand," MPRA Paper 46963, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Biswajit Maitra, 2011. "Anticipated Money, Unanticipated Money and Output Variations in Singapore," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 9(1), pages 118-133.
- Inder Sekhar Yadav & M.A. Lagesh, 2011. " Macroeconomic Relationship in India: ARDL Evidence on Cointegration and Causality," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 9(1), pages 156-168.
- Friedman, Benjamin M & Kuttner, Kenneth N, 1992. "Money, Income, Prices, and Interest Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 472-92, June.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Gaurang Rami, 2010. "Causality between Money, Prices and Output in India (1951-2005): A Granger Causality Approach," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 8(2), pages 20-41.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.