Attitudes Towards Immigrants and Relative Deprivation: The Case of a Middle-Income Country
AbstractThis paper applies the concept of group relative deprivation to studying formation of attitudes towards immigrants in a middle-income country’s setting. It finds that the feeling of relative deprivation adversely affects the attitudes, even when the potential endogeneity of relative deprivation is taken into account. Furthermore, relative deprivation matters only for natives who subjectively underestimate their well-being, but not for those who overestimate it. When considering other forms of natives’ perceived disadvantage, such as in terms of employment, access to education or medical facilities, there is a weak evidence that only perceived disadvantage in obtaining medical aid negatively affects the attitudes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4595.
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
attitudes towards immigrants; relative deprivation; subjective well-being;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Fertig & Jan Brenner, 2006.
"Identifying the Determinants of Attitudes towards Immigrants - A Structural Cross-Country Analysis,"
RWI Discussion Papers
0047, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Brenner, Jan & Fertig, Michael, 2006. "Identifying the Determinants of Attitudes towards Immigrants: A Structural Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 2306, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eliana La Ferrara, .
"Inequality and Group Participation: Theory and Evidence from Rural Tanzania,"
161, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- La Ferrara, Eliana, 2002. "Inequality and group participation: theory and evidence from rural Tanzania," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 235-273, August.
- La Ferrara, Eliana, 2000. "Inequality And Group Participation: Theory And Evidence From Rural Tanzania," CEPR Discussion Papers 2433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eliana La Ferrara, 2000. "Inequality and Group Participation: Theory and Evidence from Rural Tanzania," Development Working Papers 138, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Jozef Konings & Olga Kupets & Hartmut Lehmann, 2003.
"Gross Job Flows in Ukraine: Size, Ownership and Trade Effects,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
550, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jozef Konings & Olga Kupets & Hartmut Lehmann, 2002. "Gross Job Flows in Ukraine: Size, Ownership and Trade Effects," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 521, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jozef Konings & Hartmut Lehmann & Olga Kupets, 2002. "Gross Job Flows in Ukraine: Size, Ownership and Trade Effects," LICOS Discussion Papers 12602, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Konings, Jozef & Kupets, Olga & Lehmann, Hartmut, 2003. "Gross Job Flows in Ukraine: Size, Ownership and Trade Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 3802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konings, Jozef & Kupets, Olga & Lehmann, Hartmut, 2002. "Gross Job Flows in Ukraine: Size, Ownership and Trade Effects," IZA Discussion Papers 675, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stark, Oded & Taylor, J Edward, 1991. "Migration Incentives, Migration Types: The Role of Relative Deprivation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1163-78, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.