Impact of Alternative & Innovative Education Programmes: A Study of Bridge Course Centres in Bardhaman District
AbstractEducation is the basic requirement and the ‘Fundamental Right’ of the citizens of a nation. Elementary Education system also serves as the base over which the super-structure of the whole knowledge system is built up. This calls for bringing all children under coverage of Elementary Education, which sadly has not been possible yet in India. Policy makers have responded through various programs – two latest examples of which are the Sarva Shikhsa Mission and the Right to Education Bill. The former have been hailed as a successful instrument to remove all ills plaguing the elementary education system in India through some of its alternative, innovative, and flexible programs. In this paper we examine the performance of one of the Flagship programme under SSA – the Bridge Course Centres – in selected areas of West Bengal to evaluate its performance, identify the shortcomings, and suggest some steps for improving them. This is extremely important as the SSA is now being extended to Madhyamik Shikhsa Mission and mistakes of the former should not be repeated in the latter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45845.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision: Oct 2010
Education; Elementary Education; Innovative Program; Out of School Children; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- N35 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Asia including Middle East
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hati, Koushik Kumar & Majumder, Rajarshi, 2012.
"Proximate Determinants of School Dropout: A study on Rural West Bengal,"
45850, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hati, Koushik Kumar & Majumder, Rajarshi, 2012. "Proximate Determinants of School Dropout: A study on Rural West Bengal," MPRA Paper 49756, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.