Central bank independence: monetary policies in selected jurisdictions (II)
AbstractThrough an investigation of selected jurisdictions, this paper aims to contribute to the extant literature in investigating the relationship between central bank independence and price stability, as well as how such a relationship varies between different jurisdictions – even though it is widely argued that political and legislative interference is often contributory to price instability. This paper employs times series data to study the dynamics of central bank independence. It also employs bivariate cointegration methodology to examine the long-term relationship between inflation index and the different measures of financial development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45684.
Date of creation: 31 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
inflation; price stability; central bank independence; monetary policy; financial stability;
Other versions of this item:
- Ojo, Marianne & Ayadi, Felix, 2013. "Central bank independence: monetary policies in selected jurisdictions (III)," MPRA Paper 45722, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Felix, Ayadi & Marianne, Ojo, 2013. "Central bank independence: monetary policies in selected jurisdictions (I)," MPRA Paper 45679, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- K2 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2013-04-06 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2013-04-06 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-04-06 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malcolm Sawyer, 2006. "Inflation targeting and central bank independence: we are all Keynesians now! or are we?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(4), pages 639-652, July.
- Wojciech S. Maliszewski, 2000. "Central Bank Independence in Transition Economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(3), pages 749-789, November.
- Morten Balling & Frank Lierman & Freddy Van den Spiegel & Rym Ayadi & David T. Llewellyn & Martin Merlin & Donato Masciandaro & Marc Quintyn & Rosaria Vega-Pansini & Adam Szyszka & Rym Ayadi & Frank d, 2012. "New Paradigms in Banking, Financial Markets and Regulation?," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2012/2 edited by Morten Balling, Frank Lierman, Freddy Van den Spiegel, Rym Ayadi and David T. Llewellyn.
- Theodore Panagiotidis & Afroditi Triampella, 2006.
"Central Bank Independence and inflation: the case of Greece,"
REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO,
UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Theodore Panagiotidis & Afrodit Triampella, 2005. "Central Bank Independence and Inflation: The case of Greece," Discussion Paper Series 2005_7, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2005.
- Hayo, Bernd & Hefeker, Carsten, 2002. "Reconsidering central bank independence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 653-674, November.
- Otero, Jesus & Ramirez, Manuel, 2006. "Inflation before and after central bank independence: The case of Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 168-182, February.
- Haan, Jakob de & Kooi, Willem J., 2000. "Does central bank independence really matter?: New evidence for developing countries using a new indicator," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 643-664, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.