The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications
AbstractThe exponential model for the spectrum of a time series and its fractional extensions are based on the Fourier series expansion of the logarithm of the spectral density. The coefficients of the expansion form the cepstrum of the time series. After deriving the cepstrum of important classes of time series processes, also featuring long memory, we discuss likelihood inferences based on the periodogram, for which the estimation of the cepstrum yields a generalized linear model for exponential data with logarithmic link, focusing on the issue of separating the contribution of the long memory component to the log-spectrum. We then propose two extensions. The first deals with replacing the logarithmic link with a more general Box-Cox link, which encompasses also the identity and the inverse links: this enables nesting alternative spectral estimation methods (autoregressive, exponential, etc.) under the same likelihood-based framework. Secondly, we propose a gradient boosting algorithm for the estimation of the log-spectrum and illustrate its potential for distilling the long memory component of the log-spectrum.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45280.
Date of creation: 19 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Frequency Domain Methods; Generalized linear models; Long Memory; Boosting.;
Other versions of this item:
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013. "The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications," CEIS Research Paper 272, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 19 Apr 2013.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013. "The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications," CREATES Research Papers 2013-34, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2013-03-23 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2013-03-23 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luati, Alessandra & Proietti, Tommaso, 2009.
"Hyper-spherical and Elliptical Stochastic Cycles,"
15169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2003.
"A Bias--Reduced Log--Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long--Memory Parameter,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 675-712, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2000. "A Bias-Reduced Log-Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long-Memory Parameter," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1263, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tom Doan, . "AGFRACTD: RATS procedure to compute Andrews-Guggenberger estimate of fractional difference," Statistical Software Components RTS00005, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Koenker, Roger & Yoon, Jungmo, 2009. "Parametric links for binary choice models: A Fisherian-Bayesian colloquy," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 120-130, October.
- Luati, Alessandra & Proietti, Tommaso & Reale, Marco, 2011.
"The Variance Profile,"
30378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hurvich, Clifford M., 2002. "Multistep forecasting of long memory series using fractional exponential models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 167-179.
- Rosen, Ori & Stoffer, David S. & Wood, Sally, 2009. "Local Spectral Analysis via a Bayesian Mixture of Smoothing Splines," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 249-262.
- Ori Rosen & Sally Wood & David S. Stoffer, 2012. "AdaptSPEC: Adaptive Spectral Estimation for Nonstationary Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 107(500), pages 1575-1589, December.
- Barndorff-Nielsen, O. & Schou, G., 1973. "On the parametrization of autoregressive models by partial autocorrelations," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 408-419, December.
- Masaki Narukawa & Yasumasa Matsuda, 2011. "Broadband semi‐parametric estimation of long‐memory time series by fractional exponential models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 175-193, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.