Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Import Demand of Thailand
AbstractThis study investigates the impact of real exchange rate uncertainty on import demand of Thailand. The period of study is during July 1997 to December 2011. The results from bounds testing for cointegration show that all variables are cointegrated. Even though there is no short-run impact, but the long-run negative impact of real exchange rate uncertainty on real imports is large and highly significant under the floating exchange rate regime. In the long run, a rise in real exchange rate uncertainty can improve the country’s trade balance by substantially lowering import demand, but can harm industrial production at the same time. Therefore, stabilization of real effective exchange rate via major nominal exchange rates may deem necessary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45216.
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Exchange rate uncertainty; GARCH; imports; ARDL bounds testing;
Other versions of this item:
- Komain Jiranyakul, 2013. "Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Import Demand of Thailand," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(10), pages 1269-1280, October.
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caporale, Tony & Doroodian, Khosrow, 1994. "Exchange rate variability and the flow of international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 49-54, September.
- Paul De Grauwe, 1988. "Exchange Rate Variability and the Slowdown in Growth of International Trade," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 63-84, March.
- Padma Gotur, 1985. "Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade: Some Further Evidence (Effets de l'instabilitÃ© des taux de change sur le commerce mondial: nouvelles constatations) (Efectos de la inestabilidad de los," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 475-512, September.
- Yanhong Zhang & Hui Chang & Jean Gauger, 2006. "The Threshold Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade Volume: Evidence from G-7 Countries," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 461-476.
- Kenen, Peter B & Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Measuring and Analyzing the Effects of Short-term Volatility in Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 311-15, May.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2008. "Aggregate Import Demand Function for Japan: A Cointegration Re-investigation," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 363-377.
- Reza Siregar & Ramkishen Rajan, 2002.
"Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on IndonesiaÂ’s Trade Performance in the 1990s,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies
2002-05, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Siregar, Reza & Rajan, Ramkishen S., 2004. "Impact of exchange rate volatility on Indonesia's trade performance in the 1990s," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 218-240, June.
- Miles, Marc A, 1979. "The Effects of Devaluation on the Trade Balance and the Balance of Payments: Some New Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 600-20, June.
- Hooper, Peter & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1978. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on the prices and volume of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 483-511, November.
- Bruno Coric & Geoff Pugh, 2010. "The effects of exchange rate variability on international trade: a meta-regression analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(20), pages 2631-2644.
- Arize, Augustine C. & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J., 2008. "Exchange-rate volatility in Latin America and its impact on foreign trade," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 33-44.
- Warner, Dennis & Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1983. "Determinants of International Trade Flows," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-104, February.
- Hasan, Shahriar & Wallace, Myles, 1996. "Real exchange rate volatility and exchange rate regimes: Evidence from long-term data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 67-73, July.
- Himarios, Daniel, 1989. "Do Devaluations Improve the Trade Balance? The Evidence Revisited," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(1), pages 143-68, January.
- Mohsen Bahmani & Hanafiah Harvey & Scott W. Hegerty, 2013. "Empirical tests of the Marshall-Lerner condition: a literature review," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 40(3), pages 411-443, May.
- Ekrem Erdem & Saban Nazlioglu & Cumhur Erdem, 2010. "Exchange rate uncertainty and agricultural trade: panel cointegration analysis for Turkey," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(6), pages 537-543, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.