Dynamic Voluntary Advertising and Vertical Product Quality
AbstractWe investigate the dynamic relationship between advertising and product quality under duopolistic competition. By using a simplified vertical product differentiation model with voluntary advertising, we show that the firm with larger market share has a larger advertising share and that there is a positive relationship between the difference in product quality and the number of customers in an industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 44062.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Advertising; product quality; differential games; duopoly;
Other versions of this item:
- Yohei Tenryu & Keita Kamei, 2013. "Dynamic voluntary advertising and vertical product quality," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 564-574.
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-02-03 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2013-02-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2013-02-03 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio A. Piga, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Advertising and Product Differentiation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 509-522, October.
- Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"An Empirical Analysis Of Dynamic, Non-Price Competition In An Oligopolistic Industry,"
Papers, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics
3-88-14, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988. "An Empirical Analysis of Dynamic, Nonprice Competition in an Oligopolistic Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(2), pages 200-220, Summer.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329.
- Huang, Jian & Leng, Mingming & Liang, Liping, 2012. "Recent developments in dynamic advertising research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 591-609.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.