Early-stage venture capital in South Africa: Challenges and prospects
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to assess which factors impact the development of early-stage venture capital in South Africa. Factors identified for other markets and countries are explored and their relative importance in South Africa determined from the perspective of market participants. These include venture capital and private equity fund managers, government institutions, intermediaries and university research coordinators. The study used both an online survey, to capture a broad representation of opinion, and interviews, for in-depth responses. There was broad consensus among respondents with regards to the key factors requiring attention, which include the lack of funds targeted at early-stage investments, the lack of specialised fund managers, and the low entrepreneurial skillsets in the country. Through a detailed analysis of the responses, certain measures are proposed that can enhance the development of early-stage venture capital in South Africa such as engaging more with angel investors and improving the cooperation between the different market players in the sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42890.
Date of creation: 07 Dec 2009
Date of revision: 21 Nov 2012
early-stage; venture capital; entrepreneurship; investment; South Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N27 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Africa; Oceania
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Da Rin, Marco & Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2005.
"Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets,"
Working Paper Series, European Central Bank
0430, European Central Bank.
- Da Rin, Marco & Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1699-1723, September.
- Da Rin, M. & Nicodano, G. & Sembenelli, A., 2006. "Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-192935, Tilburg University.
- Marco Da Rin & Giovanna Nicodano & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2004. "Public Policy and the Creation of Active Venture Capital Markets," Working Papers 270, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin, 2002. "Venture capital in Europe and the financing of innovative companies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 229-270, 04.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Van Deventer, Bart & Mlambo, Chipo, 2008. "Factors influencing venture capitalists' project financing decisions in South Africa," MPRA Paper 24970, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 28 Feb 2009.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2002.
"Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses,"
NBER Working Papers
8764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2004. "Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 59(5), pages 2177-2210, October.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Strömberg, Per, 2003. "Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," SIFR Research Report Series, Institute for Financial Research 14, Institute for Financial Research.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2002. "Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gil Avnimelech & Morris Teubal, 2004. "Venture capital start-up co-evolution and the emergence & development of Israel's new high tech cluster," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 33-60.
- Dossani, Rafiq & Kenney, Martin, 2002. "Creating an Environment for Venture Capital in India," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 227-253, February.
- A. E. Fernández Jilberto, 1991. "Introduction," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(1), pages 3-9, April.
- Hady Farag & Ulrich Hommel & Peter Witt & Mike Wright, 2004. "Contracting, monitoring, and exiting venture investments in transitioning economies: A comparative analysis of Eastern European and German markets," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 257-282, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.