Cost Competitiveness Comparisons and Convergence in China
AbstractThis paper examines provincial disparities and convergence of sectors in China from a labour cost perspective. We find that the provinces in the Northeast and Coastal regions have strong advantages in the manufacturing sector, while the Primary sector, Construction and Real estate sectors have better cost competitiveness in the Interior and West regions. The decrease of relative unit labour cost (RULC) is mainly due to the faster growth rates of relative labour productivity (RLP) than the growth rate of relative nominal labour costs (RNLC) in most cases. A decomposition analysis shows that there are much more cost competitiveness gains, as well as relative decrease of nominal labour costs and labour productivity improvement during the period 1978-1995 than the years afterwards. We find the fast convergence of RULC is consistent with the fast converging RLP among provinces with static wages, suggesting the importance of institutional factors such as rigid wage setting in Chinese labour markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42449.
Date of creation: 05 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Unit Labour Cost; Regional Development Planning; China;
Other versions of this item:
- Lili Kang & Peng Fei, 2013. "Cost Competitiveness Comparisons and Convergence in China," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 223(1), pages R49-R60, February.
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2012-11-17 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2012-11-17 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TRA-2012-11-17 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-11-17 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ark, Bart van & Stuivenwold, Edwin & Ypma, Gerard, 2005. "Unit labour costs, productivity and international competitiveness," GGDC Research Memorandum 200580, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Fleisher, Belton & Li, Haizheng & Zhao, Min Qiang, 2010.
"Human capital, economic growth, and regional inequality in China,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 215-231, July.
- Belton Fleisher & Haizheng Li & Min-Qiang Zhao, 2009. "Human Capital, Economic Growth, and Regional Inequality in China," Working Papers 09-01, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Belton Fleisher & Haizheng Li & Min Qiang Zhao, 2007. "Human Capital, Economic Growth, and Regional Inequality in China," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp857, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Li, Haizheng & Zhao, Min Qiang, 2008. "Human Capital, Economic Growth, and Regional Inequality in China," IZA Discussion Papers 3576, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Li, Haizheng & Zhao, Min Qiang, 2007. "Human Capital, Economic Growth, and Regional Inequality in China," IZA Discussion Papers 2703, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
- Appleton, Simon & Knight, John & Song, Lina & Xia, Qingjie, 2002. "Labor retrenchment in China: Determinants and consequences," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 252-275.
- Adam Szirmai & Ruoen Ren & Manyin Bai, 2005. "Chinese Manufacturing Performance in Comparative Perspective, 1980-2002," Working Papers 920, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.