Property rights and democratic values in Bronze Age and Archaic Greece
AbstractIn the present essay we introduce the concept of macroculture as a complex of mutually supporting values, norms and beliefs in various areas of human activity, like war, religion, politics, athletics, etc. in a model. Then, by applying the concept of bounded rationality, we analyse how some macrocultures that are favorable or the ‘precondition’ for the emergence of democracy and institutions develop, in particular property rights, that foster economic development. We analyze this for Bronze Age and Archaic Greece, as being the historical case where such a macroculture favorable to democracy and stable property rights first emerged. Our main findings indicate that during Mycenaean and Archaic age period, the emergence of various elements of macroculture, in warfare, religion, city-state environment and athletic games evolved into similar proto-democratic values leading to the establishment of democracy as a political phenomenon in Classical Greece.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42399.
Date of creation: 06 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Macroculture; Democracy; Property rights; Ancient Greece;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P41 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
- Z12 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Religion
- P48 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Political Economy; Legal Institutions; Property Rights; Natural Resources; Energy; Environment; Regional Studies
- N40 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - General, International, or Comparative
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2012-11-17 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2012-11-17 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-POL-2012-11-17 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl Hampus Lyttkens, 1997. "A Rational-Actor Perspective on the Origin of Liturgies in Ancient Greece," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 153(3), pages 462-, September.
- Bitros, George C. & Karayiannis, Anastassios D., 2008. "Values and institutions as determinants of entrepreneurship in ancient Athens," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 205-230, August.
- Solow, Robert M, 1985. "Economic History and Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 328-31, May.
- Nicholas Kyriazis, 2009. "Financing the Athenian state: public choice in the age of Demosthenes," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 109-127, April.
- Lazaric, Nathalie, 2011.
"Organizational routines and cognition: an introduction to empirical and analytical contributions,"
Journal of Institutional Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 147-156, June.
- Nathalie Lazaric, 2011. "Organizational routines and cognition: an introduction to empirical an analytical contributions," Post-Print hal-00599719, HAL.
- Robert Fleck & F. Hanssen, 2009. "“Rulers ruled by women”: an economic analysis of the rise and fall of women’s rights in ancient Sparta," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 221-245, July.
- Vromen, Jack J., 2011. "Routines as multilevel mechanisms," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 175-196, June.
- North, Douglass C, 1978. "Structure and Performance: The Task of Economic History," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 963-78, September.
- Christoph A. Schaltegger & Benno Torgler, 2009.
"Was Weber Wrong? A Human Capital Theory of Protestant Economic History: A Comment on Becker and Woessmann,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2009-06, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Christoph A. Schaltegger & Benno Torgler, 2009. "Was Weber Wrong? A Human Capital Theory of Protestant Economic History: A Comment on Becker and Woessmann," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 248, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Pitsoulis, Athanassios, 2011. "The egalitarian battlefield: Reflections on the origins of majority rule in archaic Greece," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 87-103, March.
- George Halkos & Nickolas Kyriazis, 2010. "The Athenian economy in the age of Demosthenes: path dependence and change," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 255-277, June.
- Nicholas Kyriazis & Michel Zouboulakis, 2004. "Democracy, Sea Power and Institutional Change: An Economic Analysis of the Athenian Naval Law," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 117-132, January.
- Frey, Bruno S & Buhofer, Heinz, 1988. "Prisoners and Property Rights," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(1), pages 19-46, April.
- Economou, Emmanouel/Marios/Lazaros & Kyriazis, Nicholas, 2013. "The emergence and the development of the federations: The Achaean federation, the United Provinces and the EU," MPRA Paper 47349, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Economou, Emmanouel/Marios/Lazaros & Kyriazis, Nicholas, 2012. "Macroculture, Athletics and Democracy in ancient Greece," MPRA Paper 45903, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Economou, Emmanouil Marios Lazaros & Kyriazis, Nicholas, 2014. "Property Rights and Democratic Values in pre-Classical Greece," MPRA Paper 57286, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kyriazis, Nicholas & Economou, Emmanouel/Marios/Lazaros, 2013. "A Comparative analysis of federations: The Achaean federation and the European Union," MPRA Paper 57287, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kyriazis, Nicholas & Paparrigopoulos, Xenophon & Economou, Emmanouel/Marios/Lazaros, 2013. "The Glue of Democracy: Economics, Warfare and Values in Classical Greece," MPRA Paper 45117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.