The determinants of australian exchange rate: a time series analysis
AbstractThe paper analyzes Australian exchange rate and its determinants by providing an insight into the economic and non-economic factors. By drawing a comparison between quarterly and annual data over the period of 1975 to 2012, it is suggested that Australia’s trade components and macroeconomic indicators such as output and liquidity relative to the US, play a significant role in determination of its exchange rates. However, interest rate and inflation appear insignificant in this relationship. The study also emphasizes on the pertinence of unobservable effects such as political events and external shocks in influencing the exchange rate. Engle-Granger Cointegration test exhibits a long run relationship between exchange rate and its determinants, and corroborates the substantial role of macroeconomic indicators in diminishing the uncertainty in foreign exchange market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42309.
Date of creation: 30 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Exchange Rate; Backward Elimination;
Other versions of this item:
- Atif, Syed Muhammad & Sauytbekova, Moldir & Macdonald, James, 2012. "The Determinants of Australian Exchange Rate: A Time Series Analysis," EconStor Preprints 65665, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, .
"A panel cointegration approach to the estimation of the peseta real exchange rate,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Camarero, Mariam & Tamarit, Cecilio, 2002. "A panel cointegration approach to the estimation of the peseta real exchange rate," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 371-393, September.
- Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, 2001. "A panel cointegration approach to the estimation of the peseta real exchange rate," Working Papers 01-08, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Grubacic, Sanja, 2002. " Exchange Rate Adjustment in Partially Liberalized Economy," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 253-70.
- Antonia LÃPEZ VILLAVICENCIO & Josep Lluís RAYMOND BARA, 2008. "Short-Run And Long-Run Determinants Of The Real Exchange Rate In Mexico," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 46(1), pages 52-74.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Selover, David D., 1987. "Cointegration and models of exchange rate determination," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 43-51.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.