Japanese and Korean Automobile Exports and the Alchian-Allen Theorem
AbstractThis paper compares data on Japanese and Korean automobile exports to the United States to examine consistency with the Alchian-Allen theorem. The theorem suggests that imposing a per unit charge such as transport cost will lower the relative price and increase the relative consumption of higher quality cars. Results show that the relative price of higher-quality cars is not necessarily lower with increased shipping costs, measured by CIF charges (cost, insurance, and freight). A possible explanation is that insurance and other shipping charges are imposed based on the car price, and these charges reduce or eliminate the Alchian-Allen effect of per-unit freight charge.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41928.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
International Trade; Transport Costs; Alchian-Allen Theorem; Dynamic OLS;
Other versions of this item:
- Pramesti Resiandini, 2014. "Japanese and Korean automobile exports and the Alchian-Allen theorem," International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 7(1), pages 86-98.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2012-10-27 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRE-2012-10-27 (Transport Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borcherding, Thomas E & Silberberg, Eugene, 1978. "Shipping the Good Apples Out: The Alchian and Allen Theorem Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 131-38, February.
- Banik, Nilanjan & Biswas, Basudeb, 2007. "Exchange rate pass-through in the U.S. automobile market: A cointegration approach," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 223-236.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.