Regional policy and investment behaviour: The case of Greece, 1971-1982
AbstractThe present paper reports an attempt to evaluate the relative effects of regional policy on investment in Greek manufacturing industry during 1971-82. A generalized neoclassical model of investment behaviour is used allowing for separate estimates of the effects of different policy instruments. Both regional investment incentives and infrastructure expenditures were found to exert a significant influence on capital formation. Simulations with alternative policy cornbinations showed that if incentives were accompanied by more equally distributed infrastructure expenditures the cost of the policy would be the same but its effects would be enhanced: an equal amount of investment would be created with a fairer regional distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40229.
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
Regional policy; Investment; Incentives; Greece; Manufacturing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1986. "Efficiency of resource usage and city size," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 47-70, January.
- Segal, David, 1976. "Are There Returns to Scale in City Size?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(3), pages 339-50, August.
- Bean, Charles R, 1981. "An Econometric Model of Manufacturing Investment in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 106-21, March.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983. "The Determinants of Investment: Another Look," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 71-75, May.
- Louri, Helen, 1988. "Urban growth and productivity: the case of Greece," MPRA Paper 29934, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barry P. Bosworth & Robert M. Solow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1982. "Capital Formation and Economic Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 13(2), pages 273-326.
- Benos, Nikos & Karagiannis, Stelios, 2013. "Do Cross-Section Dependence and Parameter Heterogeneity Matter? Evidence on Human Capital and Productivity in Greece," MPRA Paper 53326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.