Literature review concerning the relationship between globalization and regionalization in the world economy
AbstractIn this paper we review the literature on regionalization and globalization and implicitly the impact these two processes have over the world economy. Characterized by a several number of studies, this research is focused on different time periods, methodologies and model parameters. We identify the key empirical findings from the literature and analyze the impact of the relationship between globalization and regionalization on prices, wages, capital flows and the labor market. The results offer clear evidence that these two processes are not mutually exclusive and cannot be analyzed separately from each other. Future research should examine closely the impact of globalization and regionalization over population's purchasing power.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39746.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
regionalization; globalization; literature review;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- F01 - International Economics - - General - - - Global Outlook
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Fred Bergsten, 1997.
Working Paper Series
WP97-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- David Hummels, 2007. "Transportation Costs and International Trade in the Second Era of Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 131-154, Summer.
- Matthieu Bussière & Bernd Schnatz, 2009.
"Evaluating China’s Integration in World Trade with a Gravity Model Based Benchmark,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 85-111, February.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Schnatz, Bernd, 2006. "Evaluating China’s integration in world trade with a gravity model based benchmark," Working Paper Series 0693, European Central Bank.
- Dées, Stéphane & Vansteenkiste, Isabel, 2007. "The transmission of US cyclical developments to the rest of the world," Working Paper Series 0798, European Central Bank.
- C.A. Primo Braga & Raed Safadi & Alexander Yeats, 1994. "Regional Integration in the Americas: Déjà Vu All Over Again?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 577-602, 07.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Ng, Francis, 2005. "Production disintegration and integration of Central Europe into global markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 377-390.
- Edward Christie, 2002. "Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: a Gravity Model Approach," wiiw Working Papers 21, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999.
"Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001. "Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Böwer, Uwe & Guillemineau, Catherine, 2006. "Determinants of business cycle synchronisation across euro area countries," Working Paper Series 0587, European Central Bank.
- P. Hiebert & I. Vansteenkiste, 2010.
"International trade, technological shocks and spillovers in the labour market: a GVAR analysis of the US manufacturing sector,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(24), pages 3045-3066.
- Hiebert, Paul & Vansteenkiste, Isabel, 2007. "International trade, technological shocks and spillovers in the labour market: A GVAR analysis of the US manufacturing sector," Working Paper Series 0731, European Central Bank.
- Christodoulakis, Nicos & Dimelis, Sophia P & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1995. "Comparisons of Business Cycles in the EC: Idiosyncracies and Regularities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(245), pages 1-27, February.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "How has regionalism in the 1990s affected trade?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2156, The World Bank.
- Neil Foster-McGregor & Johannes Pöschl & Robert Stehrer, 2010.
"The Impact of Preferential Trade Agreements on the Margins of International Trade,"
wiiw Working Papers
70, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Foster, Neil & Poeschl, Johannes & Stehrer, Robert, 2011. "The impact of Preferential Trade Agreements on the margins of international trade," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 84-97, March.
- Maurice Schiff & L. Alan Winters, 2003. "Regional Integration and Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15172.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.