Determinants of banking outreach: An empirical assessment of Indian states
AbstractThe paper explores the factors influencing banking outreach. Using time series data on Indian states for 1973-2004, the analysis indicates a divergence across states in terms of the outreach of formal finance over time, ceteris paribus. The findings also uncover an important role of literacy and physical infrastructure. As well, the findings also point to the fact that the spread and use of banking services can be adversely affected by unfavorable labor regulations. Robustness tests reinforce these findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38650.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Developing Areas 2.46(2012): pp. 269-295
banking outreach; sub-national; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amit. K. Bhandari, 2009.
"Access to Banking Services and Poverty Reduction: A State-wise Assessment in India,"
- Bhandari, Amit Kumar, 2009. "Access to Banking Services and Poverty Reduction: A State-wise Assessment in India," IZA Discussion Papers 4132, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Devashish Mitra & Beyza Ural, 2008.
"Indian manufacturing: A slow sector in a rapidly growing economy,"
Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 525-559.
- Devashish Mitra & Beyza Ural, 2009. "Indian manufacturing: A slow sector in a rapidly growing economy," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 205-205.
- Mitra, Devashish & Ural, Beyza P., 2007. "Indian manufacturing : a slow sector in a rapidly growing economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4233, The World Bank.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2007.
"Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations, and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 466-481, August.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2003. "Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India," Economics Study Area Working Papers 59, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2003. "Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India," NBER Working Papers 9879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nachane, D M & Ray, P & Ghosh, S, 2001. "Does monetary policy have differential state-level effects? an empirical evaluation," MPRA Paper 2708, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar & Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2006.
"India's Patterns of Development: What Happened, What Follows,"
NBER Working Papers
12023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kochhar, Kalpana & Kumar, Utsav & Rajan, Raghuram & Subramanian, Arvind & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2006. "India's pattern of development: What happened, what follows?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 981-1019, July.
- Arvind Subramanian & Raghuram Rajan & Ioannis Tokatlidis & Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar, 2006. "India's Pattern of Development: What Happened, What Follows?," IMF Working Papers 06/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2009. "Does Financial Outreach Engender Economic Growth? Evidence from Indian States," MPRA Paper 32072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.